University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Jordan remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Off the north decumanus (+32.282510+35.892409) lies the north theatre (ca. 160s AD), which is smaller than its southern counterpart. Only its lower tiers of seats belong to the original building, which was an odeion that doubled as a bouleuterion. It was enlarged to serve as a theatre in the 230s AD.

    Gerasa is the best-preserved Palestinian city of Roman times. Gerasa first rose to importance as Antioch-on-the-Chrysorrhoas (Golden River) during Hellenistic and Roman times. Its location betwe…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    On the north side of the city is the massive propylaeum of the Temple of Artemis (completed AD 150). The monumental scale and plan of the temple complex are typical of oriental sanctuaries of its period. The octastyle Corinthian temple was approached through a system of steps and courtyards that started across the cardo on the east bank of the river. The propylaeum, giving on to the main street, was fronted by a porch of four huge Corinthian columns supporting a pediment with an arch over the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Gerasa is the best-preserved Palestinian city of Roman times. Gerasa first rose to importance as Antioch-on-the-Chrysorrhoas (Golden River) during Hellenistic and Roman times. Its location between Pella and Philadelphia ensured its continued prosperity as one of the cities of the Decapolis in Roman Syria. Captured by Alexander Jannaeus, king of Hasmonean dyansty in 83 BCE; was rebuilt by Romans in 65 CE. It flourished in the 2nd and 3rd centuries and was an important center in the development…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Ptolemy II Philadelphus, the Macedonian ruler of Egypt, renamed it Philadelphia. The city became part of the Nabataean kingdom until 106 CE when Philadelphia came under Roman control and joined the Decapolis. The ancient city consisted of the citadel, or acropolis, built in three terraces rising from west to east on a steep-sided, L-shaped hill, and the lower town in the valley of the Wadi ‛Amman to the south. Below the citadel, along the south bank of the wadi, were the forum, the odeium, th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Ptolemy II Philadelphus, the Macedonian ruler of Egypt, renamed it Philadelphia. The city became part of the Nabataean kingdom until 106 CE when Philadelphia came under Roman control and joined the Decapolis. The ancient city consisted of the citadel, or acropolis, built in three terraces rising from west to east on a steep-sided, L-shaped hill, and the lower town in the valley of the Wadi ‛Amman to the south. Below the citadel, along the south bank of the wadi, were the forum, the odeium, th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Ptolemy II Philadelphus, the Macedonian ruler of Egypt, renamed it Philadelphia. The city became part of the Nabataean kingdom until 106 CE when Philadelphia came under Roman control and joined the Decapolis. The ancient city consisted of the citadel, or acropolis, built in three terraces rising from west to east on a steep-sided, L-shaped hill, and the lower town in the valley of the Wadi ‛Amman to the south. Below the citadel, along the south bank of the wadi, were the forum, the odeium, th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The spacious plaza measures 90 x 80 m and is surrounded by a broad sidewalk and a colonnade of 1st century Ionic columns. There are 2 altars in the middle, and a fountain was added in the 7th century AD.

    Gerasa is the best-preserved Palestinian city of Roman times. Gerasa first rose to importance as Antioch-on-the-Chrysorrhoas (Golden River) during Hellenistic and Roman times. Its location between Pella and Philadelphia ensured its continued prosperity as one of the cities of the Decapolis i…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Ptolemy II Philadelphus, the Macedonian ruler of Egypt, renamed it Philadelphia. The city became part of the Nabataean kingdom until 106 CE when Philadelphia came under Roman control and joined the Decapolis. The ancient city consisted of the citadel, or acropolis, built in three terraces rising from west to east on a steep-sided, L-shaped hill, and the lower town in the valley of the Wadi ‛Amman to the south. Below the citadel, along the south bank of the wadi, were the forum, the odeium, th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01