University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Myanmar remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    According to legend, it was built to enshrine eight hairs from the head of the Buddha. Its documented history begins in the 14th century with Binnya U (reigned 1353-1385), ruler of the Mon kingdom of Pegu, who raised the stupa to a height of 22 m; his granddaughter, Queen Shin Sawbu (reigned 1453-1472), built and enlarged the square platform, raised the stupa again and gilded it. In the 17th and 18th centuries it was damaged by earthquakes several times and repaired. In 1774 the Konbaung king…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The last capital of the Burmese kings, Mandalay was founded in 1857 by King Mindon (reigned 1853-1878). Mandalay Hill, contained numerous great religious foundations, among them the Ku-tho-daw where 729 stone slabs were engraved in 1857 with sacred Buddhist texts, the Tipitaka, (the entire Pali Canon of Theravada Buddhism), each one protected by a small stone pavilion. It is called the “world’s largest book.” The stupa itself, which is gilded above its terraces, is 188 feet (57 …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    At the centre of the city’s grid plan is the Sule stupa, remarkable for the fact that the octagonal shape of the base is continued up to the bell. The Sule Pagoda was made the center of Yangon by Lt. Alexander Fraser of the Bengal Engineers, who created the present street layout of Yangon soon after the British occupation in the middle of the 19th century. It is a Mon-style chedi (stupa), octagonal in shape, with each side 24 feet long. Enlarged to its present size by Queen Shin Sawbu (14…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Queen’s Golden Monastery was constructed in 1885 on the orders of Queen Supayalat, wife of Thibaw, the last king of Burma (reigned 1878-1885). It was barely completed when she was exiled to India with her husband following the annexation of Upper Burma by the British Empire. Now destroyed (burned during WWII), it stood in the grounds of the Royal Palace and was a magnificent gilded teak building richly decorated with ornate woodcarving, mirrored glass mosaic and surrounded by intricat…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The last capital of the Burmese kings, Mandalay was founded in 1857 by King Mindon (reigned 1853-1878). Mandalay Hill, contained numerous great religious foundations, among them the Ku-tho-daw where 729 stone slabs were engraved in 1857 with sacred Buddhist texts, the Tipitaka, (the entire Pali Canon of Theravada Buddhism), each one protected by a small stone pavilion. It is called the “world’s largest book.” The stupa itself, which is gilded above its terraces, is 188 feet (57 …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01