University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Netherlands remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Roman Catholic church, begun ca. 1820 in a location on the Singel Canal, formerly occupied by the West-Indisch Binnenhuis. It was Neoclassical in style with three aisles. Architect Theo Molkenboer added a transept in 1853. On December 31, 1933 the church was closed and sold to the Dutch Society of Life. The church was demolished in 1939. The Municipal University now occupies the site.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    From 1893 Berlage gradually succeeded in eliminating historicist forms from his buildings, coinciding with a general trend in architecture and the visual arts in Europe and the USA. Located on the Damrak, in the center of Amsterdam, the Beurs was designed as a commodity exchange. As a champion of Gesamtkunstwerk he included in this building all the visual arts, and in such a way that the work was executed entirely under his supervision in order to guarantee the concept of “Unity in Varie…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Around 1100 a wooden building was constructed on the location of the current Gravenzaal of the City Hall. Traces of this building were found in 1955. After large fires in 1347 and 1351, William II, Count of Holland donated the remains of the Gravenzaal to the city’s municipality. A new building was built there. The central square building dates from the Middle Ages, but the distinctive façade of the building was designed by architect Lieven de Key and built from 1602-1604; he also built t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Begijnhof is one of the oldest inner courts in the city of Amsterdam. A group of historic buildings, mostly private dwellings, center on it. As the name suggests, it was originally a Béguinage. After the Alteration (Protestant takeover) of 1578, when Amsterdam came under Calvinist rule, the Begijnhof was the only Roman Catholic institution to be allowed to remain in existence. This was because the houses were the beguines’ private property. The Chapel, however, was closed and lay empt…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    After the pacification of Ghent (1576) and the fall of Antwerp (1585), Haarlem began its period of greatest prosperity. Thousands of people from Flanders and Brabant came to the city to establish their traditional industries. Linen and yarn were bleached in Haarlem for the whole of Europe, and the town became famous for its damask. The Waag was a weigh house for merchants to use, located on the Spaarne where goods were moved. The building stands on an irregular piece of land, but offers a har…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Trade was strongly stimulated by the foundation of the Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie (East India Company; 1602). A merchants’ exchange (1597) and the creation of an exchange bank following the establishment in the town of the Merchant Adventurers (1635) promoted international trade. Rotterdam has the oldest bourse [organization] in the Netherlands. The third Rotterdam stock building was designed by the architect Adriaen van der Werf and constructed at the Westnieuwland in 1736. The bui…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Although Mendes da Costa became particularly known for his small sculptures, he also sculpted on and in several buildings, thus realizing his ideals of the unity of architecture and sculpture. He worked on several buildings with H. P. Berlage, including the Koopmansbeurs. In addition he worked with the architects A. J. Kropholler and J. F. Staal on the offices of the life insurance firm Utrecht, for their branches in Amsterdam (1904-6) and Utrecht (1909). The building has owls, orangutans, ch…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Part of a city plan formulated by Amsterdam physician Samuel Sarphati after he visited the Great Exhibition of 1851 in England. A “Palace of Industry” built for the Exhibition of Arts and Industry, Amsterdam, which opened in 1864. Modeled after the popular Crystal Palace in England, the building was called the “Crystal Palace at Amsterdam” in the Illustrated London News. The exterior was illustrated in 1861, the interior at the opening of the Exhibition was illustrated in …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The American Hotel on the Leidseplein is a hotel and café restaurant with an Jugendstil reading room. It was built in 1898-1902 by W. Kromhout and W.G. Jansen in the style of Hendrik Petrus Berlage. In 1927-1928 an expansion was realized from a design by the architect G.J. Rutgers in collaboration with K. Bakker. Both the expansion and the café are National Heritage sites.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    There are many historic and operational windmills around Rotterdam. Declared as a UNESCO world heritage site in 1997, Kinderdijk lies in the east of Rotterdam and its name in Dutch means a “Child’s Dike”. Built in the seventeenth century, Kinderdijk alone contains 19 historic windmills. Built mostly behind dikes, large parts of the Rotterdam are below sea level.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01