University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Palestine (includes present-day Israel) remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    After the rediscovery of the Holy Places by Constantine in 326 they immediately became the focus of Christian veneration. Both Calvary (Golgotha) and the Tomb of Christ were isolated by cutting away the surrounding rock and earth, making them free-standing blocks. Between 326 and 337 the Tomb of Christ was surrounded by the so-called Anastasis (Resurrection) Rotunda. Rebuilding occurred in 1048. When the crusaders conquered Jerusalem in 1099 their immediate concern was to restore and beautify…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Other than some restoration work, its appearance has essentially not changed since 1854. The same small ladder below the top-right window is also visible in recent photographs; this has remained in the same position since 1854 over a disagreement to move it.

    After the rediscovery of the Holy Places by Constantine in 326 they immediately became the focus of Christian veneration. Both Calvary (Golgotha) and the Tomb of Christ were isolated by cutting away the surrounding rock and earth, making…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Other than some restoration work, its appearance has essentially not changed since 1854. The same small ladder below the top-right window is also visible in recent photographs; this has remained in the same position since 1854 over a disagreement to move it.

    After the rediscovery of the Holy Places by Constantine in 326 they immediately became the focus of Christian veneration. Both Calvary (Golgotha) and the Tomb of Christ were isolated by cutting away the surrounding rock and earth, making…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cavity beneath the rock, accessible by a staircase near the south entrance, is known as Bir el-Arwah, the “Well of Souls.” It is said that here the voices of the dead mingle with the falling waters of the lower rivers of paradise as they drop into eternity.

    Constructed on the site of the Second Jewish Temple, which was destroyed during the Roman Siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE. In 637 CE, Jerusalem surrendered to the Rashidun Caliphate army during the Muslim conquest of Syria. The …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Chapel of Saint Helena (mother of Constantine) is a 12th century Armenian church in the lower level of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

    After the rediscovery of the Holy Places by Constantine in 326 they immediately became the focus of Christian veneration. Both Calvary (Golgotha) and the Tomb of Christ were isolated by cutting away the surrounding rock and earth, making them free-standing blocks. Between 326 and 337 the Tomb of Christ was surrounded by the so-called Anastasis (Resurrec…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Constructed on the site of the Second Jewish Temple, which was destroyed during the Roman Siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE. In 637 CE, Jerusalem surrendered to the Rashidun Caliphate army during the Muslim conquest of Syria. The structure has been refurbished many times since its initial completion in 691 CE at the order of Umayyad Caliph Abd al-Malik. The site’s significance stems from religious traditions regarding the rock, known as the Foundation Stone, at its heart. Consisting of a domed …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Wall consists of 45 stone courses, 28 of them above ground and 17 underground. The first seven visible layers are from the Herodian period. This section of wall is built from enormous meleke limestone stones.

    According to Jewish tradition and scripture, (2 Chronicles 3:1-2) the first temple was built by Solomon the son of David in 957 BCE and destroyed by the Babylonians in 586 BCE. The second was constructed under the auspices of Zerubbabel in 516 BCE. Around 19 BCE, Herod the Great fur…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The vault is plastered and accommodates an extraordinary stone cenotaph…There are two cylindrical stone finials on the top of the southern and the northern ends of the cenotaph, and it is all covered by a green pall in the customary way. [Auld & Hillenbrand, “Ottoman Jerusalem”]

    Kursai [Kursi] Sulaiman (Solomon’s Throne) stands against the east wall of the Haram just to the north of the Golden Gate and is a rectangular structure with two narrow domes. References are made …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The freestanding entry arcade tops steps up to the plateau.

    Constructed on the site of the Second Jewish Temple, which was destroyed during the Roman Siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE. In 637 CE, Jerusalem surrendered to the Rashidun Caliphate army during the Muslim conquest of Syria. The structure has been refurbished many times since its initial completion in 691 CE at the order of Umayyad Caliph Abd al-Malik. The site’s significance stems from religious traditions regarding the rock, known …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Wall consists of 45 stone courses, 28 of them above ground and 17 underground. The first seven visible layers are from the Herodian period. This section of wall is built from enormous meleke limestone stones.

    According to Jewish tradition and scripture, (2 Chronicles 3:1-2) the first temple was built by Solomon the son of David in 957 BCE and destroyed by the Babylonians in 586 BCE. The second was constructed under the auspices of Zerubbabel in 516 BCE. Around 19 BCE, Herod the Great fur…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Greek Orthodox monastery overlooking the Kidron Valley in the West Bank east of Bethlehem. The traditional date for the founding of the monastery by Saint Sabas [Sabbas] of Cappadocia is the year 483 and today houses around 20 monks. It is considered to be one of the oldest inhabited monasteries in the world. The monastery holds the relics of St. Sabbas the Sanctified. Mar Saba was also the home of St. John of Damascus (676-749), a key religious figure in the Iconoclastic Controversy. The m…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An ancient monumental rock-cut tomb with a conical roof. Although traditionally ascribed to Absalom, the rebellious son of King David of Israel (circa 1000 BCE), recent scholarship has attributed it to the 1st century CE. The tomb’s exterior design features a Doric frieze and Ionic columns, both being styles originating in ancient Greece and introduced into Judah during the Seleucid Empire, centuries after the death of Absalom. Archeologically, the so-called “Tomb Of Absalom” is…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01