University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Peru remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    At the heart of Cuzco is the Plaza de Armas, with colonial arcades and four churches situated around it. The cathedral, built on the site of the Inca Palace of Viracocha and completed in the 17th century, exhibits both Renaissance and Baroque elements. It has a solid silver altar and a beautifully carved original wooden altar retable. The original designs for the 1-acre (4,000 m2) large construction were drawn by the Spanish architect and conquistador, Juan Miguel de Veramendi. [Dedicated to …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    On the east side of the Plaza de Armas is the twin-towered La Compañia de Jesus, a Jesuit church built on the Inca site of the Amarucancha (Palace of the Serpents, of the ruler Huayna Cápac). Considered by many to be the finest church in Peru, it is filled with exceptional murals, paintings and carved altars. The church was almost entirely demolished by the earthquake of 1650, rebuilt, and finally finished 18 years later.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The town of Puno is the capital of the department of Puno, located on the shore of Lake Titicaca. It was founded on November 4, 1668 by the Spanish for its closeness to the colonial silver mine of Laykakota. The Cathedral of Puno was built in the 18th century by the Spanish, located in the Plaza de Armas.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Construction of the cathedral (founded 1612) began in 1621 following plans by Andrés de Espinoza and continued for several decades under the architect Moscoso; it was completed under Juan de Aldana in 1656. Following a fire in 1844 and the 1868 earthquake it was rebuilt by Lucas Poblete, and it retains much of the original plan. It is a long, low building, with a façade occupying the entire north end of the city’s main square, the Plaza de Armas. It is divided into three largely undecorat…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    According to Humberto Vidal, work was initiated by Cristóbal Paullo, a member of the Inca nobility and owner of the land (Colcampata hill, a plateau with Inca stonework still visible). The first church dates from 1560. The rear building is seventeenth century; the patron was Bishop Mollinedo, whose coat of arms is on the lintel of the entrance door to the belfry. The church is a Latin cross plan and has a single nave. Among its treasures is the silver front altar, which also features the coat…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Juliaca is a major transit and trade point in the Puno region. The Iglesia Santa Catalina was built by the Jesuits. It is built of the local white volcanic tufa (sillar); its popular name is the “white church” (Iglesia blanca de Juliaca). Today it is under the Franciscan order. The style is called “indigenous Baroque,” built by local workers.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01