University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Russia (includes present-day Ukraine and Georgia) remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd. The Palace sits on the Neva River and the Winter Canal is cut through the palace complex.

    In the reign of Catherine II a grand palace ensemble was created that served as an official state residence, a storehouse of art treasures, and also as a home where the Russian Empress spent her private life. Out of six buildings of the main palace (now museum) complex, four, namely the Winter Palace, Small Hermitage, Old Hermitage and New Hermitage, are partially open t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd.

    In the reign of Catherine II a grand palace ensemble was created that served as an official state residence, a storehouse of art treasures, and also as a home where the Russian Empress spent her private life. Out of six buildings of the main palace (now museum) complex, four, namely the Winter Palace, Small Hermitage, Old Hermitage and New Hermitage, are partially open to the public. The other two are Hermitage Theatre and the Reserve House. Next to the Winte…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd. The New Hermitage Museum is by Leo von Klenze (built 1842-1851) in a neoclassic style. Until the 1920s the museum’s entrance was under the portico supported by five-metre high atlantes of grey Serdobol granite from Finland in the middle of the southern facade of the New Hermitage building.

    In the reign of Catherine II a grand palace ensemble was created that served as an official state residence, a storehouse of art treasures, and also as a home where the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1553-1554, at the command of Ivan IV (reigned 1533-1584), the stone church of the Trinity on the Fosse (Troitsa na Rvu) was built in Red Square to commemorate the capture of Kazan. It had seven wooden chapels. In 1555-1561, however, the new brick cathedral of the Protective Veil on the Fosse (Pokrov na Rvu), attributed to the architects Barma and Postnik, was built with eight stone chapels symmetrically arranged on a common foundation around this central part. Another chapel was built in t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd. In 1787-1792 Quarenghi designed and built a wing along the Winter Canal with the Raphael Loggias to replicate the loggia in the Apostolic Palace in Rome designed by Donato Bramante and frescoed by Raphael. The loggias in Saint Petersburg were adorned with copies of Vatican frescoes painted by Cristopher Unterberger and his workshop in the 1780s.

    In the reign of Catherine II a grand palace ensemble was created that served as an official state residence, a stor…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd.

    The official seat of the government of Russia from 1712 to 1917, it is sited on the left bank of the River Neva, east of the Admiralty, and is now part of the Hermitage Museum. There have been four successive palaces on the site, the first two of wood and destroyed by fire. Bartolomeo Carlo Rastrelli and Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli built the new, stone, Third Winter Palace (1732-1736) for Empress Anne (reigned 1730-1740). Anne’s palace was demolished a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd.

    The official seat of the government of Russia from 1712 to 1917, it is sited on the left bank of the River Neva, east of the Admiralty, and is now part of the Hermitage Museum. There have been four successive palaces on the site, the first two of wood and destroyed by fire. Bartolomeo Carlo Rastrelli and Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli built the new, stone, Third Winter Palace (1732-1736) for Empress Anne (reigned 1730-1740). Anne’s palace was demolished a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Upon departure of the court for St Petersburg, the wooden palace got dilapidated. On the orders of Catherine II, the palace was demolished in 1768. Fortunately a wooden model of the palace survives, and the Moscow Government has begun its full-scale reconstruction.

    Kolomenskoye is a Russian estate, situated on the River Moskva ca. 10 km south-east of central Moscow. It was a favourite country residence of the Grand Princes of Moscow and the Tsars from the time of Ivan Kalita (reigned 1328-13…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd. Palace Square (Russian: Dvortsovaya Ploshchad), connecting Nevsky Prospekt with Palace Bridge leading to Vasilievsky Island, is the central city square of St. Petersburg and of the former Russian Empire. It was the setting of many events of worldwide significance, including the Bloody Sunday (1905) and the October Revolution of 1917.

    The official seat of the government of Russia from 1712 to 1917, it is sited on the left bank of the River Neva, east of the Ad…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Alexander I of Russia nominated the Armoury as the first public museum in Moscow in 1806, but the collections were not opened to the public until 7 years later. It houses decorative arts as well as weapons (a treasury more than an armory).

    The Kremlin Armoury (Russian: Оружейная палата) is one of the oldest museums of Moscow, established in 1808 and located in the Moscow Kremlin. The Kremlin Armoury originated as the royal arsenal in 1508. Until the transfer of the court to St Petersburg, th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tent roof is criss-crossed with white stone rhombus patterns.

    Built in 1532 by Vasily III (reigned 1505-1533) on a sloping hillside above the river, presumably as a thanks-offering for the birth of his son, later Ivan IV. The central, square plan is enclosed by a tall, multi-faceted polygon that supports an octagonal tower crowned with a tent roof, itself surmounted by a lantern and cupola. A covered gallery resting on an arcade and approached by three stairways surrounds the lower part …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The restorer Aleksey Denisov was called upon to design a replica of extraordinary accuracy, rebuilt 1994-1997.

    Ton transformed the plan of the grandiose cruciform and domed church of Christ the Redeemer (1832-1838; destroyed 1934; rebuilt 1994-1997) in Moscow by designing a two-storey gallery on one side of the central block to house a museum. The church was built as a memorial to Russia’s victory in the Patriotic War of 1812-1814. Ton excelled at the Russo-Byzantine style; he also combi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01