University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Behind the altar is a three-tiered reredos, made of red granite and jasper, nearly twenty-eight metres tall, adorned with gilded bronze statuary by Leone Leoni, and three sets of religious paintings commissioned by Philip II. To either side are gilded life-size bronzes of the kneeling family groups of Charles and Philip, also by Leoni with help from his son Pompeo. In a shallow niche at the center of the lowest level is a tabernacle designed by Juan de Herrera in jasper and bronze.

    A complex…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The place of burial for the kings of Spain. It is an octagonal Baroque mausoleum made of marble where all of the Spanish monarchs since Charles I have been buried, with the exception of Philip V, Ferdinand of Savoy, and Amadeus of Savoy. The sarcaphagi are bronze and marble.

    A complex which contains a monastery, palace, school, mausoleum and museum; Philip II built the monastery 1563-1584 as a memorial to victory over French in 1557. It became his main residence and was later was the dynasti…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The prestige of the Tribunal de la Justicia (Royal Chancery), which was instituted in 1505, was emphasized in 1587 by its new building (now Audiencia), with its magnificent façade designed by Francisco del Castillo. As a manifestation of royal power it made a great impression on contemporaries and became a much imitated model. The oldest parts of the present building were built around 1531. Diego de Siloé provided plans for the courtyard of the Chancillería (1546). In 1762 a stone balustrade …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A 16th century church constructed in Renaissance style with Mudejar elements: a single nave with a timber-roofed chancel. The facade has Plateresque detail; inside the church there are five chapels on each side and a coffered Mudejar ceiling. It was begun in 1501 to replace the mosque of Almanzra which had been on the site. (In 1501 the city was divided by Cardinal Pedro González de Mendoza into 23 parishes, and most were allocated smaller mosques to be consecrated for Christian use.) Origina…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Casita del Principe, was built in 1771-1775 to designs of Juan de Villanueva, for the Prince of the Asturias, the future Carlos IV.

    A complex which contains a monastery, palace, school, mausoleum and museum; Philip II built the monastery 1563-1584 as a memorial to victory over French in 1557. It became his main residence and was later was the dynastic center of the Spanish Hapsburgs. The monastery was originally a property of the Hieronymite monks, it is now a monastery of the Order of S…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Surrounding the large Old town are the Roman walls: gates include the Puerta de Almodóvar, the Puerta de Sevilla and Puerta del Puente, which are the only three gates remaining from the original thirteen. The Puerta del Puente is located on the site of previous Roman and Moorish gates, which united the city to the Roman Bridge (Puente Romano). The construction of a new, larger and more modern gate was commissioned of Ruiz by the city’s governor Alonso González de Arteaga on 18 February 15…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The current palace is situated on the remains of the ancient Roman theater. The first phase was a Mudejar style house, known to exist since at least the fifteenth century. In the 16th century it was enlarged with two courtyards, one dating from 1559 with a reflecting pool. The main facade, facing the Plaza de Jerónimo Páez, was designed by Hernán Ruiz in 1540, and is composed as a triumphal arch, the doorway is flanked by two pairs of columns with heroic figures between them. The palace was r…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01