University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Switzerland remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Located in a tiny village, population 143 (Dec 2009). The original majority language was Romansh (Mistail is the Romansh name.) The church of St. Peter is listed as a Swiss heritage site; it is considered the only largely preserved Carolingian three-apse hall church in Switzerland. The present church was built around 800 AD and belonged to a monastery complex that by 1154 had already been abolished. There are still fragments of Carolingian wall paintings inside.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An example of a 17th century house (unidentified) and shop with stepped gables and a Baroque painted facade. At the time of the lantern slide photograph (ca. 1890-1910) it is surrounded by shops and restaurants with perhaps a factory at the back. This would have been a wealthy merchant house or guildhall when originally built, with mercantile or shop space below and meeting or living quarters above.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    On the tympanum, dating from around 1180, is a relief of Christ sitting in judgment. The Galluspforte also has reliefs of the wise and foolish virgins from the parable described in the New Testament (Matthews 25:1-13).

    Bâle is the French name for Basel. Originally a Catholic cathedral it is today a reformed Protestant church (munster or minster). Dedicated to the Virgin, it is essentially Late Romanesque or Early Gothic, standing on the foundations of successive Ottonian and Salian buildings…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cloister, renewed in the 15th century, has net vaulting and curvilinear tracery. The small cloister to its east was built 1467-1487.

    Bâle is the French name for Basel. Originally a Catholic cathedral it is today a reformed Protestant church (munster or minster). Dedicated to the Virgin, it is essentially Late Romanesque or Early Gothic, standing on the foundations of successive Ottonian and Salian buildings, which largely governed its dimensions. It was probably started before a fire of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cloister, renewed in the 15th century, has net vaulting and curvilinear tracery. The small cloister to its east was built 1467-1487.

    Bâle is the French name for Basel. Originally a Catholic cathedral it is today a reformed Protestant church (munster or minster). Dedicated to the Virgin, it is essentially Late Romanesque or Early Gothic, standing on the foundations of successive Ottonian and Salian buildings, which largely governed its dimensions. It was probably started before a fire of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bâle is the French name for Basel. Originally a Catholic cathedral it is today a reformed Protestant church (munster or minster). Dedicated to the Virgin, it is essentially Late Romanesque or Early Gothic, standing on the foundations of successive Ottonian and Salian buildings, which largely governed its dimensions. It was probably started before a fire of 1185 and it was completed shortly after 1200. The towers, main vault and the upper storeys of the choir, which collapsed in the earthquake…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A former Franciscan monastery and former Clarisse convent between the medieval villages of Brugg and Windisch. It was founded in 1308 by Elizabeth von Habsburg. It marks the spot where her husband, Albrecht I, was murdered by his nephew, Duke Johann of Swabia. During the Reformation in 1528 it was secularized. The complex was then the residence of the bailiffs of Bern, and since 1868 it has been a psychiatric clinic. The church is now a museum (since 2009). It contains 14th century stained gl…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A medieval fortress located in the canton of Aargau, near the Aar River. At the time of its construction, the location was part of the Duchy of Swabia. Habsburg Castle is the originating seat of the House of Habsburg, which became one of the leading imperial and royal dynasties in Europe. Built by Werner, bishop of Strasbourg, and his brother-in-law, Count Radbot ca. 1020-1030. Habsburg Castle remained property of the House of Habsburg until 1415. Today the “large” and “small&q…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Castle is first mentioned in 1272, but probably dates back to the Lords of Prangins. It was rebuilt by Louis I of Savoy. The rectangular building was built in a variety of building styles. In 1463, it was extensively rebuilt. Around the same time, the square César Tower or Tour de Rive (now a residence), was built to defend the city. Following the Swiss Confederation invasion of Vaud in 1530, the Bernese bailiff was at Nyon. In 1574-1580 the castle was converted into the seat of the baili…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Castle is first mentioned in 1272, but probably dates back to the Lords of Prangins. It was rebuilt by Louis I of Savoy. The rectangular building was built in a variety of building styles. In 1463, it was extensively rebuilt. Around the same time, the square César Tower or Tour de Rive (now a residence), was built to defend the city. Following the Swiss Confederation invasion of Vaud in 1530, the Bernese bailiff was at Nyon. In 1574-1580 the castle was converted into the seat of the baili…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Saint-Maurice Castle is a castle in the municipality of Saint-Maurice of the Canton of Valais, an area once controlled by the Duchy of Savoy. In 1476, following the Swiss Confederation, Bern began construction of the castle in the narrow Rhone valley at Saint-Maurice. It was completed in 1646 with the expansion of the residential buildings. However, in 1693 a devastating fire in the town, destroyed the warehouse of the castle and much of the gunpowder that was stored there. The narrow canyon …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The choir, raised above a crypt, consists of a short, straight bay preceding a polygonal apse with an ambulatory. The choir arcades, which increase in height towards the apex, rest on clustered piers; the gallery, which was reconstructed after the earthquake, has a single opening screened by tracery bars, which are extensions of the clerestory mullions.

    Bâle is the French name for Basel. Originally a Catholic cathedral it is today a reformed Protestant church (munster or minster). Dedicated …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01