University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Thailand remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Grand Palace (Thai: Phra Borom Maha Ratchawang, lit. The Lord’s Supreme, Great, Royal Palace) is a complex of buildings in Bangkok, Thailand. It served as the official residence of the Kings of Thailand from the 18th century onwards. The main building is the Chakri Maha Prasat, a palace begun in 1867 and completed in 1882. It has a marble façade in the Italian Renaissance style and a roof of coloured tiles in the Thai style (the plan of the British architect John Chmish was changed du…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A photograph of Thai porters and guides posing with an elephant saddle (a covered pavilion for two, like a howdah) near Bangkok ca. 1890-1910. Distributed before 1912 by the French company G. Massiot & Cie (actual photographer unknown).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Buddhist temple (wat) in the Bangkok Yai district, on the Thonburi west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The full name of the temple is Wat Arunratchawararam Ratchaworamahawihan. Thonburi was the Thai capital for 15 years between the sack of Ayutthaya in 1767 and the establishment of the royal court at Bangkok in 1782, during which period the temple was built. Its restoration was undertaken in 1785 and included the enlargement of its most significant feature, a Khmer-style prang (tower-sanctu…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Buddhist temple (wat) in the Bangkok Yai district, on the Thonburi west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The full name of the temple is Wat Arunratchawararam Ratchaworamahawihan. Thonburi was the Thai capital for 15 years between the sack of Ayutthaya in 1767 and the establishment of the royal court at Bangkok in 1782, during which period the temple was built. Its restoration was undertaken in 1785 and included the enlargement of its most significant feature, a Khmer-style prang (tower-sanctu…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Buddhist temple (wat) in the Bangkok Yai district, on the Thonburi west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The full name of the temple is Wat Arunratchawararam Ratchaworamahawihan. Thonburi was the Thai capital for 15 years between the sack of Ayutthaya in 1767 and the establishment of the royal court at Bangkok in 1782, during which period the temple was built. Its restoration was undertaken in 1785 and included the enlargement of its most significant feature, a Khmer-style prang (tower-sanctu…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    There are four steep stairways, one on each side, leading to three terraces, with four smaller prang at the corners and pavilions at the base of the stairways. The form is held to be a representation of the five peaks of the sacred mountain, Mt Meru, centre of the universe and abode of the gods. The ashes of King Rama II are buried in the base of the Buddha statue.

    A Buddhist temple (wat) in the Bangkok Yai district, on the Thonburi west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The full name of the te…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01