University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Turkey remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Previously in the 19th century, at Midas Sehri, (also known as Midas City, near the modern village of Yazilikaya) a “Tomb of Midas” was discovered. The name was given on the basis of the word “Mida”, identified in incompletely translated Phrygian inscriptions. That “tomb” is no longer believed to be a tomb, but rather a sacred site to Cybele. The relief is 17 meters high and dates from the 6th century BCE (two centuries after Midas). Cybele (Phrygian: Matar Kubil…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Hisarlik (Turkish: Hisarlık, “Place of Fortresses”), is the modern name for the site of ancient Troy, also known as Ilion, and is located in what is now Turkey (historically Anatolia). The unoccupied archaeological site lies approximately 6.5 km from the Aegean Sea and equidistant from the Dardanelles. A tell is an artificial hill, built up over centuries and millennia of occupation from its original site on a bedrock knob. The settlement began as an Early Bronze Age citadel in the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Ephesus [Ephesos] was one of 12 ancient Ionian cities, located in fertile plain near the mouth of the Cayster river; conquered by Persians; democracy granted by Alexander the Great; was center of cult of Diana; passed to Rome; an early Christian center, visited by St. Paul. Site of an important Classical city on the west coast of Turkey, about 2 km south-west of modern Selcuk. It has been occupied since perhaps as early as the 10th century BCE, and its Late Classical Temple of Artemis (Artemi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Hierapolis was first excavated by the German archaeologist Carl Humann (1839-1896) during the months June to July 1887. Excavations began in earnest in 1957.

    Site in south-west Anatolia, Turkey. The town was built on a travertine terrace formed by sediments of hot mineral-rich springs; it was used as a thermal spa. The name Pamukkale means “cotton castle” after the white sediment. It was founded in the 2nd century BCE by the Pergamene kings at an important strategic position; it be…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01