University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of United Kingdom remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn is one of four Inns of Court in London to which barristers of England and Wales belong and where they are called to the Bar. The other three are Middle Temple, Inner Temple and Gray’s Inn. The Old Hall dates from at least 1489, when it replaced the smaller “bishops hall”. The Old Hall is 71 feet long and 32 feet wide, although little remains of the original size and shape; it was significantly altered in 1625, 1652, 1706 and 1819. It w…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The west front consists of the original castellated tower, four storeys in height, its windows enlarged to suit 17th-century taste; a second tower very similar to the first; and the two towers joined by a low screen of two storeys with the entrance gate in the center.

    The palace is adjacent to the 12th-century abbey. The oldest part of the present building is the massive northwest tower, built in 1528-1532 by William Aytoun (active 1598; died ?1643) for James V. Except for this tower, the en…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The conical roofs are later additions (ca. 1841), destroyed in WWII. The building was restored back to the earlier Gothic phase with the top turret with crenellations.

    The church building comprises two separate sections. The original nave section, called the Round Church, and an adjoining rectangular section, built approximately half a century later, called the Chancel. It was designed to recall the holiest place in the Crusaders’ world: the circular Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerus…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Stands at the intersection of Lambeth Road and Lambeth Palace Road, just off Lambeth Bridge.

    Lambeth Palace is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury. It is located in Lambeth, on the south bank of the River Thames a short distance upstream of the Palace of Westminster on the opposite shore. It was acquired by the archbishopric around 1200. The oldest remaining part of the palace is the Early English chapel. The so-called Lollard’s Tower dates from 1440. There is a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The original columns of dark Purbeck marble, seen here, were replaced with replicas after damage in WWII. There are 9 marble effigy tombs of medieval knights in the nave.

    The church building comprises two separate sections. The original nave section, called the Round Church, and an adjoining rectangular section, built approximately half a century later, called the Chancel. It was designed to recall the holiest place in the Crusaders’ world: the circular Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Je…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The gatehouse on the north side survives from the Tudor period, flanked by polygonal turrets with mock battlements, fitted with Georgian sash windows.

    The palace was commissioned by Henry VIII, on the site of a former leper hospital dedicated to Saint James the Less. St. James’s Palace is one of London’s oldest palaces. It is situated in Pall Mall. Although no sovereign has resided there for almost two centuries, it has remained the official residence of the Sovereign and the Royal C…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The church building comprises two separate sections. The original nave section, called the Round Church, and an adjoining rectangular section, built approximately half a century later, called the Chancel. It was designed to recall the holiest place in the Crusaders’ world: the circular Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. After the destruction and abolition of the Knights Templar in 1307, Edward II took control of the church as a Crown possession. It was later given to the Knights H…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Stands near Speakers’ Corner in Hyde Park, at the western end of Oxford Street.

    In 1828, John Nash designed the arch based on the triumphal arch of Constantine in Rome. It was originally erected on The Mall as a gateway to the new Buckingham Palace, which was rebuilt by Nash from the former Buckingham House, which at that time had an open courtyard with projecting wings. In 1851, the arch was moved to its present location during the building of the east front of the palace, which enclose…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Admiralty Arch is a large government office building in London which incorporates an archway providing road and pedestrian access between The Mall, which extends to the southwest, and Trafalgar Square to the northeast. The curving wings cleverly hide the bend into Charing Cross Road. It was designed by Sir Aston Webb, constructed by John Mowlem & Co and completed in 1912. It adjoins the Old Admiralty Building, hence the name. The building was commissioned by King Edward VII in memory of h…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The ward of Caernarfon Castle, showing (from left to right), the Chamberlain’s Tower, and the Eagle Tower.

    Royal fortress and palace in Gwynedd (county), Wales. It was begun in 1283 on the site of a Norman predecessor, and is the most splendid and important of the royal castles built in connection with Edward I’s Welsh wars. The design was intended to convey that, for Edward I, Caernarfon was also a royal palace, the seat of English government in medieval Wales. The combination of po…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The central inset colonnade with its pedimented attic above and dome behind provides a discreet central emphasis. (Sir Banister Fletcher). Construction of the Victoria Embankment to the designs of Sir Joseph Bazalgette began in 1864 and was completed in July 1870.

    Somerset House is a large building situated on the south side of the Strand in central London, England, overlooking the River Thames, just east of Waterloo Bridge. The central block of the Neoclassical building, the outstanding pro…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Imperial Institute, as it was first known, was established in 1887 (Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee) to promote research which would benefit the Empire. Initially this was strongly biased towards scientific research that supported the industrial and commercial development of the dominions and colonies. The Imperial Institute was located in a building on Exhibition Road, South Kensington, designed by T.E. Collcutt in a Hispano-Renaissance style with strong Moorish motifs and built by J…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01