University of Notre Dame

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Department or Unit: University of Notre Dame remove × Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The castle was founded by William I immediately after the Norman Conquest (1066). It was strategically sited in the south-east angle of the Roman city wall, just downstream from Old London Bridge, commanding open countryside to the east, the Thames and the bridge to the south, and the city to the north and west. By the end of the 13th century the outer wall enclosed an area of about 7 ha, which is roughly the present size of the castle. The huge stone donjon, later known as the White Tower, w…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The equestrian statue of the Duke of Wellington stands in front of the Exchange. Cast from the metal of guns taken from the French by Francis Chantry, 1844.

    The Royal Exchange in the City of London was founded in 1565 by Sir Thomas Gresham to act as a centre of commerce for the city. The site was provided by the City of London Corporation and the Worshipful Company of Mercers, and is trapezoidal, flanked by the converging streets of Cornhill and Threadneedle Street. The previous buildings on…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Mansion House is a rare surviving Georgian town palace in London. It is the official residence of the Lord Mayor of London. Dance’s designs of 1735 show the influence of Colen Campbell’s Wanstead House, Essex, particularly in the great hexastyle portico approached by a double flight of steps in two stages (now reduced to one). The internal arrangement around a courtyard (later filled in) included a ballroom lit by a clerestory and an ‘Egyptian Hall’, which took its name from a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The town of Puno is the capital of the department of Puno, located on the shore of Lake Titicaca. It was founded on November 4, 1668 by the Spanish for its closeness to the colonial silver mine of Laykakota. The Cathedral of Puno was built in the 18th century by the Spanish, located in the Plaza de Armas.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The top spire is now gone, replaced 1983-1985.

    The St. Johanns-Tor (and Thomas Tower) was built after 1356 and is a former city gate and defense tower in the ancient city walls of Basel. It is one of the three remaining gateways and a heritage site. It was formerly a part of the third mediaeval ring of fortifications that was constructed round the whole city (and incorporated new areas including the St. Johanns-Vorstadt) shortly after the great earthquake of 1356. In 1888, the Thomas Tower, …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Previously in the 19th century, at Midas Sehri, (also known as Midas City, near the modern village of Yazilikaya) a “Tomb of Midas” was discovered. The name was given on the basis of the word “Mida”, identified in incompletely translated Phrygian inscriptions. That “tomb” is no longer believed to be a tomb, but rather a sacred site to Cybele. The relief is 17 meters high and dates from the 6th century BCE (two centuries after Midas). Cybele (Phrygian: Matar Kubil…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built by a local master builder, Jose Bolanos [also listed as Bolanos Jimenez]. The Baroque marble belfries are flat extensions of the facade instead of full towers. The church was begun six years after the Carmelite Order arrived in Cadiz.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1404 Prince Yury (died 1434) founded the Storozhevsky Monastery of St Savva, which now houses the Zvenigorod Museum of History and Ethnography. The church of the Virgin’s Nativity (Rozhdestvensky Cathedral), its main church, which was built in 1405 stands on a hill (Storozhi Holm) at the centre. Its dome is slightly displaced to the east, while the roof originally consisted of superimposed kokoshniki arches. St. Savva (Sabbas) of Storozhi was interred in the church in 1407 (canonized 1…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Casita del Principe, was built in 1771-1775 to designs of Juan de Villanueva, for the Prince of the Asturias, the future Carlos IV.

    A complex which contains a monastery, palace, school, mausoleum and museum; Philip II built the monastery 1563-1584 as a memorial to victory over French in 1557. It became his main residence and was later was the dynastic center of the Spanish Hapsburgs. The monastery was originally a property of the Hieronymite monks, it is now a monastery of the Order of S…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Much of its reputation is due to literary descriptions, especially those by Jean-Jacques Rousseau (La Nouvelle Héloïse, 1761), Percy Bysshe Shelley (History of a Six Weeks’ Tour, London, 1817) and Lord Byron (The Prisoner of Chillon, 1816). Chillon Castle is first recorded in 1150, but it may have been constructed several decades earlier. The castle was progressively enlarged and its defenses reinforced by the counts of Savoy, Thomas I (reigned 1189-1233) and Peter II (reigned 1263-1268)….

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Hisarlik (Turkish: Hisarlık, “Place of Fortresses”), is the modern name for the site of ancient Troy, also known as Ilion, and is located in what is now Turkey (historically Anatolia). The unoccupied archaeological site lies approximately 6.5 km from the Aegean Sea and equidistant from the Dardanelles. A tell is an artificial hill, built up over centuries and millennia of occupation from its original site on a bedrock knob. The settlement began as an Early Bronze Age citadel in the …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Stone walls alternate with whitewashed (oyster shell stucco) areas with openings that divide the facade into two levels. The lower level is lined with windows topped by semicircular pediments, and the upper level has balconies and garlands. Above the entrance door is a niche with St. Joseph carved in stone by Cosme Velazquez. The main dome and the cupolas of the twin towers are covered by blue tiles.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01