Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    One of a series of castles that William I (reigned 1066-1087) established around London, Windsor occupied the nearest strong point in the Thames Valley to the west of the city. By the reign of Henry I (1100-1135) the creation of a large hunting forest, together with the proximity of London, made this a favoured royal residence as well as a fortress. It is the largest inhabited castle in the world and the oldest in continuous occupation. In 1992 a fire damaged approximately one-fifth of the ca…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Description:

    Lantern slides created in Portugal during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include basilicas, cathedrals, churches, and monasteries. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy.

    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Description:

    Lantern slides created in the United Kingdom during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include castles, churches, cathedrals, colleges, prisons, public buildings, and public squares. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include persons and fashions of the time.

    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Description:

    Lantern slides created in Switzerland during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include castles, churches, cathedrals, and public buildings. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Description:

    Lantern slides created in Syria during the late 19th or early 20th century. At the time, the country was part of the Ottoman Empire. Image subjects include mosques, temples, and tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include persons and fashions of the time.

    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Count Floris V built a stone castle at the mouth of the Vecht river in 1280. The castle was used to enforce a toll on the trade route. It was a relatively small castle, measuring 32 by 35 meters with brick walls well over 1.5 meters thick. A large moat surrounds the castle, accessed by a drawbridge. In 1370, the castle was rebuilt on the same spot based on the same plan, by Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria, who at that time was also the Count of Holland and Zeeland. In the 16th century P.C. Hooft (1…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bristles with decorative forms, and coats of arms in a mix of revival styles including Gothic, Manueline and Mudéjar forms.

    It is a national monument and constitutes one of the major expressions of 19th century Romanticism in the world. The palace is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The site began as a small shrine and later monastery, built 1493. From 1839 Ferdinand II and Wilhelm Ludwig Eschwege built the Palácio da Pena in a Romantic style, incorporating the remains of the Hieronymite monast…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Walls date from the 8th century; buildings date from 1830.

    It is a national monument and constitutes one of the major expressions of 19th century Romanticism in the world. The palace is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The site began as a small shrine and later monastery, built 1493. From 1839 Ferdinand II and Wilhelm Ludwig Eschwege built the Palácio da Pena in a Romantic style, incorporating the remains of the Hieronymite monastery. It is magnificently set on a peak surrounded by the forested…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    District in the north of Moscow, formerly a village and estate. From 1743 to 1917 the estate belonged to the counts Sheremet'yev and a palace (including a private theater) and park ensemble took shape there in the 18th century. The palace, a Neo-classical wooden building, was built for Count Nikolay Sheremet'yev in 1791-1798 by serf architect-builders, including Pavel Argunov (born ca. 1768), to a design by Francesco Camporesi. The interiors contain gilded carving, decorative parquet …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The origins of this castle, called “de la Mota” because of its site on a small raised mound overlooking the town, go back to the 12th century, when it guarded a fortified town within the Kingdom of Castile, on the frontier with León. Its present form, however, is the result of alterations carried out in the 15th century, from the reign of John II (reigned 1406-1454) onwards. In 1475 it passed into the hands of the Catholic rulers Ferdinand and Isabella. During their reign new work w…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The term derives from the Arabic word al-qasr meaning “fort, castle or palace”; the Arabic word comes from the Latin “castrum”, meaning an army camp or fort. It was originally a Visigothic fortress. Abd al-Rahman II (reigned 822-852) enlarged Córdoba’s Alcázar and built an aqueduct to supply the city with drinking water. Abd Allah (reigned 888-912) also expanded the Alcázar. Córdoba was reconquered from the Muslims by Ferdinand III of Castile (reigned 1217-1252) in 123…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A medieval fortress located in the canton of Aargau, near the Aar River. At the time of its construction, the location was part of the Duchy of Swabia. Habsburg Castle is the originating seat of the House of Habsburg, which became one of the leading imperial and royal dynasties in Europe. Built by Werner, bishop of Strasbourg, and his brother-in-law, Count Radbot ca. 1020-1030. Habsburg Castle remained property of the House of Habsburg until 1415. Today the “large” and “small&q…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public