Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Germany during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches, cathedrals, houses, public buildings, synagogues, sculpture, and theaters. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

City halls

Architecture

Churches

City walls

Cathedrals

Fountains

Synagogues

Palaces

Hotels

Spatial Coverage

Bonn

Frankfurt

Munich

Wiesbaden

Stuttgart

Rothenburg

Hildesheim

Germany

Heidelberg

Nuremberg

Trier

Cologne

Koblenz

Berlin

Aachen

Augsburg

Hamburg

Potsdam

Mainz

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany remove × Type of Work: Doctoral Dissertation OR Master's Thesis OR Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The first church for the Catholic community was built from 1845 until 1849 by Philipp Hoffmann in Gothic Revival style and dedicated to St. Bonifatius (Boniface).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Kobern-Gondorf is a municipality in the district of Mayen-Koblenz. There is an “upper” and “lower” castle on the cliffs above the Moselle River. The upper castle features the Chapel of St. Matthias. The chapel was built by knights of Henry II of Isenburg. It is a hexagonal structure about 11 m in diameter, to which is attached an almost horseshoe-shaped choir. The tower-like central structure has sexpartite vaults supported by a cluster of six columns. The chapel was built…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The finest Late Gothic structure in the city is the Marienkapelle (1377-1479), a hall church with a five-bay net-vaulted nave; on its exterior were several sculptures by Tilman Riemenschneider, who was mayor of Würzburg in 1520-1521, now removed to the Mainfränkisches Museum in the Marienberg and replaced with copies. Tomb of Bathasar Neumann (on the third pillar in the nave); monument of Konrad von Schaumberg (d. 1499) by Riemenschneider. The church is located on the Marktplatz and so is the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The brick Gothic hall Church of St. Nicholas was built around 1242 and 100 years later, following the example of St. Peter’s Church in Lübeck, was rebuilt with a long choir. In 1877-1884 the church was refaced with a neo-Gothic facade. After the church in was heavily damaged in 1943 and 1944, during the Second World War, it was rebuilt. Reconstruction took place in 1950 by the architect Gerhard Langmaack largely in simplified modern shapes and materials, such as concrete piers and a concr…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the 12th century the eastern part was vaulted, and the east apse was completely rebuilt in a Late Romanesque style.

    In the southeast corner of the ancient Roman town was a large temple precinct dedicated to the Capitoline Triad. About 690 Plectrudis, the wife of Pipin of Heristal, founded a convent there, its church making use of the massive foundations of the destroyed temple. After repairs or alterations in the 10th century, a large-scale rebuilding began in the first half of the 11th c…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the 12th century the eastern part was vaulted, and the east apse was completely rebuilt in a Late Romanesque style.

    In the southeast corner of the ancient Roman town was a large temple precinct dedicated to the Capitoline Triad. About 690 Plectrudis, the wife of Pipin of Heristal, founded a convent there, its church making use of the massive foundations of the destroyed temple. After repairs or alterations in the 10th century, a large-scale rebuilding began in the first half of the 11th c…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The church’s history can be traced back to a Late Antique mausoleum built ca. 360 in a cemetery outside the town walls. Saint Gereon was a Roman solider and martyr. The original building had an oval ground-plan with an entrance hall to the west. From 1219 to 1227 the original structure was transformed into a centralized decagonal building based on the old ground-plan. The vaulting of the eight niches remained untouched, but the elevation was completely reshaped in the style of northern Fr…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The northern apse is visible to the left, beyond the tower. The transept of the nave closes behind the West Tower. [Dupe of 3415]

    Dominated by the cathedral, the city changed its appearance from the 10th century with the construction of St Maria im Kapitol, Gross St Martin (1150-1230), St Cäcilien (ca. 1130-1160; now part of Schnütgen-Mus) and St Aposteln (begun ca. 1030), which rose above the tightly packed burgher houses. One of the twelve Romanesque-era churches left in Cologne, which for…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The northern apse is visible to the left, beyond the tower. The transept of the nave closes behind the West Tower.

    Dominated by the cathedral, the city changed its appearance from the 10th century with the construction of St Maria im Kapitol, Gross St Martin (1150-1230), St Cäcilien (ca. 1130-1160; now part of Schnütgen-Mus) and St Aposteln (begun ca. 1030), which rose above the tightly packed burgher houses. One of the twelve Romanesque-era churches left in Cologne, which formed the shape o…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An example of brick Gothic architecture, it was built on the initiative of Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor between 1352 and 1362. The architect was probably Peter Parler. Charles IV wanted to use the Frauenkirche for imperial ceremonies, which is reflected in the porch with the balcony, and in the fact that the church is relatively unadorned except for the coats of arms of the Holy Roman Empire, the seven Electors, the town of Nuremberg, and the city of Rome, where the Holy Roman Emperors were…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It takes its name from Sebaldus, an 8th century hermit and missionary and patron saint of Nuremberg. It has been a Lutheran parish church since the Reformation. The identity of the architect of the 14th century work is unknown, but his work shows that he was associated with the first generation of architects from the Parler school. Patricians and merchants vied for burial space for their families, and sandstone reliefs and figures were initially produced as an integral part of the building by…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The short bridge leads over to a landing platform or quay in the river.

    The smallest of the twelve Romanesque-era churches left in Cologne, and the only one built as a parish church. The exterior is plastered and painted (currently a rose or blush-pink color). It has Romanesque carvings on its west door and Romanesque murals on the ceiling, which are unique to the area. It was the only church not to sustain damage in WWII.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01