Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Spain during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include cathedrals, churches, monasteries, mosques, palaces, public buildings, and tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Ruins

Cathedrals

Convents

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Arenas

Monuments

Basilicas

Architecture

City halls

Spatial Coverage

Spain

Guarrazar

Seville

Granada

Burgos

Barcelona

Segovia

Ávila

Córdoba

Madrid

Salamanca

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Santa Maria del Mar is an imposing church in the Ribera district of Barcelona built between 1329 and 1383 at the height of Principality of Catalonia’s maritime and mercantile preeminence. It is an outstanding example of Catalan Gothic.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Construction of the church began in 1576 but had to be carried out in several stages. At first, most of the church was built in Basque Gothic style. The main facade is from the Baroque period. The main altarpiece is from the 18th century with Baroque and neoclassic elements.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Granada Cathedral is a Roman Catholic church in the city of Granada, Spain. Construction was not begun until the sixteenth century, after acquisition of the Nasrid kingdom of Granada from its Muslim rulers in 1492. While its earliest plans had Gothic designs, most of the church’s construction occurred when the Spanish Renaissance style was supplanting the Gothic in Spanish architecture.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A 16th century church constructed in Renaissance style with Mudejar elements: a single nave with a timber-roofed chancel. The facade has Plateresque detail; inside the church there are five chapels on each side and a coffered Mudejar ceiling. It was begun in 1501 to replace the mosque of Almanzra which had been on the site. (In 1501 the city was divided by Cardinal Pedro González de Mendoza into 23 parishes, and most were allocated smaller mosques to be consecrated for Christian use.) Origina…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Mudejar church built between 1559 and 1567 at the foot of the Alhambra, on the site of the Baths of the Mosque. It is built in the Renaissance style and has the ground plan of a Latin cross with a single nave. Over the doorway stand two niches and the figures of the Saints Peter and Paul, the patron saints of the church, stand between two Corinthian columns. There is a bell tower. The vault features mocarab plasterwork decoration and sculptures from the 16th and 17th centuries, by the hand of…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Sanctuary complex at the birthplace of Ignatius loyola near Azpeitia, in Basque country. The Loyolas’ manor house (1387-1405), now known as the Santa Casa, is a relatively simple building, 16 m square, and contains the chapel of the Conversion and that of the Immaculate Conception. In 1681 Mariana of Austria, widow of Philip IV, bought the house and gave it to the Jesuits, and in the same year she commissioned Carlo Fontana to design a college and church for the site. Construction began i…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The church was built beside the wall gate of the old town, opposite the original city hall, which no longer exists. The oldest parts are Mudéjar-Gothic style; but was renovated several times. The present building dates from the 16th century, with alterations in the 18th century. It has a rectangular plan with a wide nave and another lateral aisle and an attached bell tower. The interior is baroque with two retables; the high altarpiece by Leonardo Carrión and a baroque altarpiece from the 18t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This hall church is dedicated to St. Antoninus of Pamiers (San Antolín). It was constructed between the 16th century and the 18th century (over the remains of an older parish church). The nave and the aisles are of Late Gothic style, with numerous chapels, such as the Chapel of the Virgen del Pópolo, with a balcony, which was used to celebrate the mass for all the market traders lodged in the Main Square. When Medina del Campo was Europe’s leading wool trading center, no merchant could se…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The large church of San Andrés, Capilla del Obispo and Capilla de San Isidro dates from the 16th century, but was badly damaged in the Civil War in 1936 and later rebuilt in a relatively simple style. Attached to it, though (but with separate entrances), are two of Madrid’s most historic early church buildings. The Capilla del Obispo (Bishop’s Chapel, 1520-1535), with its entrance on Plaza de la Paja, is the best-preserved Gothic building in the city. It contains finely carved tombs a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A number of religious orders had splendid houses built, for example the Dominican monastery of S Esteban (1590-1599). Its church (1524) by Juan de Alava contains a retable (1692) by José Benito de Churriguera. The complex contains the monumental church and several convent rooms, including a sacristy, a capitol hall, three cloisters and a library. The main portal of the church was decorated between 1590 and 1660. The tympanum shows a sculpture of the “Martyrdom of St. Stephen”, by Ju…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pulpit on the right side.

    This monastery was constructed in 1482 with funding from los Reyes Católicos, Fernando and Isabel, and is the burial place of their only son, Don Juan, who died here aged 19. The prince’s tomb is modelled from alabaster carved by the Florentine Domenico di Sandro Fancelli. The headquarters of the royals’ adviser and confessor, the notorious Friar Tomás Torquemada, were also based here. Besides the church (with eight side chapels with ribbed vaults), it is a …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This monastery was constructed in 1482 with funding from los Reyes Católicos, Fernando and Isabel, and is the burial place of their only son, Don Juan, who died here aged 19. The prince’s tomb is modelled from alabaster carved by the Florentine Domenico di Sandro Fancelli. The headquarters of the royals’ adviser and confessor, the notorious Friar Tomás Torquemada, were also based here. Besides the church (with eight side chapels with ribbed vaults), it is a three cloister complex; Nov…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01