Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Type of Work: Doctoral Dissertation OR Master's Thesis OR Image OR Document remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cathedral is the episcopal see of the Archdiocese of Panama. There was a much older cathedral (1519-1671) founded with the town in 1519. The ruins of this may still be seen in the area known as Panama Viejo. The entire settlement was shifted in 1671 after being besieged by the pirate Henry Morgan. The twin bell towers were once capped with inlaid mother of pearl.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cathedral was founded by Yaroslav the Wise in 1037 in the centre of Old Kiev and represents the greatest artistic achievement of Kievan Rus’. The original design was influenced by Hagia Sophia in Constantinople (Yaroslav’s sarcophagus in the cathedral is also probably of Constantinopolitan manufacture), but there are also elements derived from early Russian wooden architecture. The entire building was covered by a sophisticated system of vaults and arches, and was crowned with 13 …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lucas Giraldo (fl 1529-1544), a follower of Vasco de la Zarza, carved the trascoro (choir screen; 1531-1536) with the Infancy of Christ and rich Plateresque decoration.

    Building began with the five ambulatory chapels enclosed by the semicircular wall that formed part of the city ramparts. The design draws on Burgundian sources, but it also shows a wider awareness of Early Gothic experiments in northern France. The double ambulatory with slender columns is derived from Saint-Denis Abbey and o…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Cathedral was built by (Byzantine) bishop Zosimo in the 7th century over the great Temple of Athena (5th century BCE), on the Ortygia island. This was a Doric edifice with six columns on the short sides and 14 on the long sides; these can still be seen incorporated in the walls of the current church. The base of the Greek edifice had three steps. During the two centuries of Muslim rule (878-1038), the cathedral was converted into a mosque. The interior of the church has a nave and two ais…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It is the seat of the Archbishopric of Chambéry, Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne and Tarentaise (created in 1779 as the Bishopric of Chambéry, elevated to the Archbishopric in 1817). The building dates from the 15th century, when it was constructed as a Franciscan chapel. The site is very swampy and the building is supported by 30,000 poles. It became the cathedral on the creation of the see in 1779. During the French Revolution it was extensively defaced, and the interior was entirely restored in th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Baroque tribune dates from 1671-1672, when the east end was enlarged and the original apse east of the cupola bay was replaced by a choir bay opening on to a polygonal apse.

    Probably it was essentially completed at the time of its consecration in 1101. The unaisled nave has five bays covered by a broken barrel-vault, with the exception of the easternmost bay, which carries a cupola and an octagonal lantern (probably added around 1130.) The west entrance porch was built in the late 12th c…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Virgin and St. John at base of cross with Christ, surrounded by four angels.Current photos show the grouping, but originals are now in Musée du Petit-Palais (?)

    Probably it was essentially completed at the time of its consecration in 1101. The unaisled nave has five bays covered by a broken barrel-vault, with the exception of the easternmost bay, which carries a cupola and an octagonal lantern (probably added around 1130.) The west entrance porch was built in the late 12th century and leads …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public