Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Spain during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include cathedrals, churches, monasteries, mosques, palaces, public buildings, and tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Ruins

Cathedrals

Convents

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Arenas

Monuments

Basilicas

Architecture

City halls

Spatial Coverage

Spain

Guarrazar

Seville

Granada

Burgos

Barcelona

Segovia

Ávila

Córdoba

Madrid

Salamanca

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Behind the altar is a three-tiered reredos, made of red granite and jasper, nearly twenty-eight metres tall, adorned with gilded bronze statuary by Leone Leoni, and three sets of religious paintings commissioned by Philip II. To either side are gilded life-size bronzes of the kneeling family groups of Charles and Philip, also by Leoni with help from his son Pompeo. In a shallow niche at the center of the lowest level is a tabernacle designed by Juan de Herrera in jasper and bronze.

    A complex…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Xàtiva in Valencian, Játiva in Spanish. Xàtiva is noted as the home of the Borgia family, who were from Aragon but settled in Xativa, having been granted lands for service in the Reconquista. The church contains the sepulchral chapel of the Borgias. Alfonso de Borja (Pope Calixto III, 1378-1458) was baptized there. He requested the church be elevated to collegiate status in 1413. The new cathedral was begun in 1596, and building continued into the 19th century. It is a listed national monumen…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This is one of the best examples of Andalusian Baroque. The church was built between 1663 and 1671 and the architect was Juan Luis Ortega (to plans by Juan de Rueda Moreno). The entrance to the church is flanked by two towers with spires. The main retable is made of jasper and was finished in 1760 in the Churrigueresque style. Nuestra Señora de las Angustias is the patron saint of Granada and the church has many sculptures by famous artists that include Risueño, Jose de Mora, and Pablo de Rojas.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A chapel dedicated to Mary had existed since the early Christian era. By the time of the Aragonese conquest the shrine of the Virgin of the Pillar was an important magnet for pilgrims Indulgences for the embellishment of the shrine were sold as far afield as Germany and Greece in 1297, and most Aragonese monarchs until Philip II of Spain (1556-1598) made bequests. Damián Forment made the main retable (from 1509). The particular devotion of Charles II (reigned 1665-1700) to Nuestra Señora del …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It forms part of the convent of Jesús y María of the Franciscan order. The convent was founded in the 13th century. In 1776 Charles III appointed Sabbatini to complete the basilica of S Francisco el Grande, which had been rebuilt to the designs of Antonio Plò (fl 1770) and Frey Francisco Cabezas (1709-1773). It has a centralized plan, with a great dome and radiating chapels. The unusual façade is in the form of a convex curve of three large bays, with two superimposed orders and flanking towe…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The original name refers to a lost icon from a chapel which was found among some high grasses, (called Tocha) during the time of the Reconquista. Located within a former Dominican convent. The church was transformed into a Basilica in 1863 by Pope Pius IX. The old church was in disrepair and rebuilt in the 1890’s in an eclectic Neo-Byzantine style designed by Fernando Arbós y Tremanti. Of the elaborate plan proposed by Arbós y Tremanti, only the campanile and Pantheon of Illustrious Men (…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A royal site in Madrid, under the administration of the Patrimonio Nacional. It is located in Basilica of Nuestra Señora de Atocha. The pantheon houses the tombs of a number of famous Spaniards.

    The original name refers to a lost icon from a chapel which was found among some high grasses, (called Tocha) during the time of the Reconquista. Located within a former Dominican convent. The church was transformed into a Basilica in 1863 by Pope Pius IX. The old church was in disrepair and rebuilt …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Christian martyrs Vicente, Sabina and Cristeta were martyred during the rule of the Roman Emperor Diocletian; their corpses were buried into the rock and later a basilica was built over their tombs. The relics were removed to Burgos, but in 1175, they were returned in Ávila and the construction of a new basilica was started. It was finally finished in the 13th century thanks to support of Alfonso X and Sancho IV. In the late 12th century sculptors from Burgundy worked at S Vicente. In the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Christian martyrs Vicente, Sabina and Cristeta were martyred during the rule of the Roman Emperor Diocletian; their corpses were buried into the rock and later a basilica was built over their tombs. The relics were removed to Burgos, but in 1175, they were returned in Ávila and the construction of a new basilica was started. It was finally finished in the 13th century thanks to support of Alfonso X and Sancho IV. In the late 12th century sculptors from Burgundy worked at S Vicente. In the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Tabernacle used in the sense of a liturgical container to hold the consecrated Host near the altar. In a shallow niche at the center of the lowest level of the altar is is a repository for the physical elements of the communion ceremony, a so-called “House of the Sacrament”, designed by Juan de Herrera in jasper and bronze.

    A complex which contains a monastery, palace, school, mausoleum and museum; Philip II built the monastery 1563-1584 as a memorial to victory over French in 1557…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01