Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Spain during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include cathedrals, churches, monasteries, mosques, palaces, public buildings, and tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Ruins

Cathedrals

Convents

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Arenas

Monuments

Basilicas

Architecture

City halls

Spatial Coverage

Spain

Guarrazar

Seville

Granada

Burgos

Barcelona

Segovia

Ávila

Córdoba

Madrid

Salamanca

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Appropriated the minaret as a bell-tower (1589-1593; 1656; restored 18th century).

    Constructed on a simple hypostyle plan, ‛Abd al-Rahman’s mosque of 785 consisted of 11 aisles of 12 bays that, like the Great Mosque at Damascus, ran perpendicular to a walled court. Each bay was defined by a set of two-tiered horseshoe arches with alternating red brick and white stone voussoirs, which were later coloured. It was enlarged by building programs until 988. In 1236 Ferdinand III of Castile and…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Xàtiva in Valencian, Játiva in Spanish. Xàtiva is noted as the home of the Borgia family, who were from Aragon but settled in Xativa, having been granted lands for service in the Reconquista. The church contains the sepulchral chapel of the Borgias. Alfonso de Borja (Pope Calixto III, 1378-1458) was baptized there. He requested the church be elevated to collegiate status in 1413. The new cathedral was begun in 1596, and building continued into the 19th century. It is a listed national monumen…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Mudejar church built between 1559 and 1567 at the foot of the Alhambra, on the site of the Baths of the Mosque. It is built in the Renaissance style and has the ground plan of a Latin cross with a single nave. Over the doorway stand two niches and the figures of the Saints Peter and Paul, the patron saints of the church, stand between two Corinthian columns. There is a bell tower. The vault features mocarab plasterwork decoration and sculptures from the 16th and 17th centuries, by the hand of…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The church was built beside the wall gate of the old town, opposite the original city hall, which no longer exists. The oldest parts are Mudéjar-Gothic style; but was renovated several times. The present building dates from the 16th century, with alterations in the 18th century. It has a rectangular plan with a wide nave and another lateral aisle and an attached bell tower. The interior is baroque with two retables; the high altarpiece by Leonardo Carrión and a baroque altarpiece from the 18t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A chapel dedicated to Mary had existed since the early Christian era. By the time of the Aragonese conquest the shrine of the Virgin of the Pillar was an important magnet for pilgrims Indulgences for the embellishment of the shrine were sold as far afield as Germany and Greece in 1297, and most Aragonese monarchs until Philip II of Spain (1556-1598) made bequests. Damián Forment made the main retable (from 1509). The particular devotion of Charles II (reigned 1665-1700) to Nuestra Señora del …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The city’s history is barely documented before the late 11th century, however, when Segovia was absorbed into the kingdom of Castile. Its newly acquired importance is illustrated by the extraordinary concentration of 13 Romanesque churches in and around the city. Most are built in a distinctive Segovian style, with tall, narrow, steep-roofed towers and external arcades–more reminiscent of Aragon, or even Lombardy, than of Castile. Parts of San Lorenzo date to the 12th century and retain …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    S Juan de los Caballeros (now Museo Zuloaga) has a nave with an external cloister on the west and south sides, and a large square tower to the south-east. The cloister has fine capitals and a corbel-table, but has been filled in; the interior of the church has been entirely rebuilt. This is one of the earliest of the Romanesque churches that were built in the town. The church now houses an exhibition of the works of the ceramic artist Daniel Zuloaga.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the late 11th century, Segovia was absorbed into the kingdom of Castile. Its newly acquired importance is illustrated by the extraordinary concentration of 13 Romanesque churches in and around the city. Most are built in a distinctive Segovian style. Parts of San Andrés date to the 12th century including an original apse with colonnettes. The bell tower is of a later date.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Cistercian abbey of Las Huelgas was founded in 1187 by Alfonso VIII of Castile (reigned 1158-1214) and Queen Eleanor. Its site, next to the royal palace, was an unusual choice for a Cistercian foundation; and only aristocratic young women from the kingdom were admitted as nuns. The monastery was wealthy, and for many centuries the abbess played an important part in the economic and political life of Castile. The church is built of limestone and has a cruciform plan with a narrow, projecti…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The church forms part of the premises of the monastery of Benedictine nuns, which was founded in the mid-10th century and subsisted as it was until the 19th century (dissolved 1835). The church, which dates from the pre-Romanesque period, preserves part of the 10th century Greek cross and Corinthian capitals. The small bell-tower, called Los Pájaros, is also from the Romanesque period. The Gothic period dates from 1147-1322, with other 16th century additions. The complex was damaged and partl…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    La Giralda is the city’s most famous symbol. Its square base is 13.61 metres and a height of 105 metres. It was built as a minaret of the old mosque, although the bell tower and spire top is Renaissance (1568). The name comes from the statue of Faith (a weathervane) which tops the spire. It is one of three remaining Almohad minarets in the world.

    Located in Seville, Andalusia, southern Spain: it is the largest Gothic cathedral and the third-largest church in the world. At the time of its…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01