Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Spain during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include cathedrals, churches, monasteries, mosques, palaces, public buildings, and tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Ruins

Cathedrals

Convents

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Arenas

Monuments

Basilicas

Architecture

City halls

Spatial Coverage

Spain

Guarrazar

Seville

Granada

Burgos

Barcelona

Segovia

Ávila

Córdoba

Madrid

Salamanca

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain remove × Type of Work: Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1118 Saragossa was conquered by Alfonso I of Aragon (reigned 1104-1134) and repopulated with Béarnais immigrants, while the Muslims were relocated in an extramural suburb. The old cathedral, La Seo (Aragonese for “the See”), was at one point a mosque. Reconstructed from 1119, most of the surviving fabric (restored) is 14th and 15th century. Pere Johan (died 1458) was brought from Barcelona to make the predella of the main altar in 1444, and Gabriel Joly worked on the retable (152…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A chapel dedicated to Mary had existed since the early Christian era. By the time of the Aragonese conquest the shrine of the Virgin of the Pillar was an important magnet for pilgrims Indulgences for the embellishment of the shrine were sold as far afield as Germany and Greece in 1297, and most Aragonese monarchs until Philip II of Spain (1556-1598) made bequests. Damián Forment made the main retable (from 1509). The particular devotion of Charles II (reigned 1665-1700) to Nuestra Señora del …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The sculpture was moved from the west façade and reset above a flattened arch by Juan Guas, who came from Toledo in 1459, early in his career, to execute a new west portal, of which the huge wild men now flanking the doorway formed part. The façade was redesigned by Ceferino Enríquez de la Serna (1779-1786).

    Building began with the five ambulatory chapels enclosed by the semicircular wall that formed part of the city ramparts. The design draws on Burgundian sources, but it also shows a wider…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01