Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Germany during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches, cathedrals, houses, public buildings, synagogues, sculpture, and theaters. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

City halls

Architecture

Churches

City walls

Cathedrals

Fountains

Synagogues

Palaces

Hotels

Spatial Coverage

Bonn

Frankfurt

Munich

Wiesbaden

Stuttgart

Rothenburg

Hildesheim

Germany

Heidelberg

Nuremberg

Trier

Cologne

Koblenz

Berlin

Aachen

Augsburg

Hamburg

Potsdam

Mainz

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany remove × Type of Work: Doctoral Dissertation OR Master's Thesis OR Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally Roman Catholic, from 1539 Protestant. The first church on the site was begun 1451. The Berlin Cathedral had never been a cathedral in the actual sense of that term since it has never been the seat of a bishop; it was a collegiate church. After dismantling the movable interior (altar, paintings, sarcophagae), Boumann’s building (1750) was demolished in 1893 and Julius and Otto Raschdorff, father and son, built the present Supreme Parish and Collegiate Church in exuberant forms o…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The building in the right foreground now has half timbering detail above the string course.

    Jakobskirche was originally on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela. In 1266 a chapel of the Holy Blood was consecrated. Rothenburg became an independent parish in 1286, and the church was subsequently rebuilt from east to west, starting with the east choir (ca. 1310), probably an extension of the Romanesque nave. In 1373 work began on the new nave. The architects Conrad Eschenbach of Nuremb…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Jakobskirche was originally on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela. In 1266 a chapel of the Holy Blood was consecrated. Rothenburg became an independent parish in 1286, and the church was subsequently rebuilt from east to west, starting with the east choir (ca. 1310), probably an extension of the Romanesque nave. In 1373 work began on the new nave. The architects Conrad Eschenbach of Nuremberg (1377), masters Heinrich and Peter (1383-1384) and Master Staudigel of Nuremberg (1389) w…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Jakobskirche was originally on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela. In 1266 a chapel of the Holy Blood was consecrated. Rothenburg became an independent parish in 1286, and the church was subsequently rebuilt from east to west, starting with the east choir (ca. 1310), probably an extension of the Romanesque nave. In 1373 work began on the new nave. The architects Conrad Eschenbach of Nuremberg (1377), masters Heinrich and Peter (1383-1384) and Master Staudigel of Nuremberg (1389) w…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The funerary monuments of the archbishops of Mainz, most of which stand upright against the nave piers, form an almost uninterrupted series from the 13th century to the 19th. The earliest are sarcophagus lids.

    The cathedral of the archbishops of Mainz, who were high chancellors and electors of the Holy Roman Empire, is dedicated to SS Martin and Stephan and is one of the three “imperial cathedrals” on the Rhine, the other two being Speyer and Worms. After Speyer, it is the earliest…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The bronze baptismal font (ca. 1225) is evidence of the enduring tradition of bronze casting in Hildesheim. Four kneeling figures representing the paradisiacal rivers of Geon, Tigris, Euphrates and Phison support the bowl of the font. Allegories of Moderation, Bravery, Rectitude and Wisdom appear above them as small half-length figures, surrounded by bands. On the bowl are four relief panels that depict the Crossing of the Red Sea, the Baptism, the Crossing of the Jordan and, as a dedicatory …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The West end choir, with its apsidal semi-cylinder expressed on the exterior façade, was completed in 1196.

    The cathedral founded in the early 4th century was a double cathedral, consisting of adjacent basilicas that underlie the present cathedral (north) and the 13th-century Liebfrauenkirche (south). In its present form the cathedral of St. Peter started to take shape from 1037 and continued through the 13th century. Work began on a Baroque renovation of the cathedral interior; in 1702 a sh…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cathedral of the archbishops of Mainz, who were high chancellors and electors of the Holy Roman Empire, is dedicated to SS Martin and Stephan and is one of the three “imperial cathedrals” on the Rhine, the other two being Speyer and Worms. After Speyer, it is the earliest of the great German vaulted cathedrals, and it is an important example of Middle Rhenish Romanesque architecture. The interior of the cathedral houses tombs and funerary monuments of former powerful Electoral-p…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The medieval town developed around the Late Romanesque minster (11th-13th century), formerly a monastic church that can be traced back to an Early Christian chapel (“cella memoriae”, ca. 300) dedicated to the martyrs, Saints Cassius and Florentius. The minster has a typically Rhineland Romanesque choir with square towers decorated with Lombard bands, flanking a galleried apse. The four-bay aisled nave has a three-storey elevation. The cloisters (1126-1189) are noteworthy. At one poi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    These portals mark the original course of the Reichsstrasse and are akin to city gates. Both of them, the south portal in particular, were seen by the citizens as the attributes of the bishop and the city, and viewed as proof of their right of way through the cathedral. The south portal facing the town is more elaborate. (Grove)

    Under Bishop Henry II (reigned 1047-1063), a Romanesque aisled basilica (consecrated 1065) with a double choir, western transept, crypt and side towers (completed la…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The interior furnishings of the cathedral are Baroque, begun in 1702.

    The cathedral founded in the early 4th century was a double cathedral, consisting of adjacent basilicas that underlie the present cathedral (north) and the 13th-century Liebfrauenkirche (south). In its present form the cathedral of St. Peter started to take shape from 1037 and continued through the 13th century. Work began on a Baroque renovation of the cathedral interior; in 1702 a shrine chapel for the Holy Robe was buil…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Cathedral of Saint Peter and the Liebfrauenkirche are part of one complex. The Liebfrauenkirche is indebted to French Gothic style.

    The cathedral founded in the early 4th century was a double cathedral, consisting of adjacent basilicas that underlie the present cathedral (north) and the 13th-century Liebfrauenkirche (south). In its present form the cathedral of St. Peter started to take shape from 1037 and continued through the 13th century. Work began on a Baroque renovation of the cath…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01