Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    See photographs by Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (Library of Congress). http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/

    During the 16th and 17th centuries Yaroslavl’ became one of the largest trading centres in Russia. St. John Chrysostom’s Church is in the Korovniki borough (Korovnitskaya) of Yaroslavl, across the Kotorosl River. The summer Church of Ioann Zlatoust [John Chrysostom] was built in 1649 and has frescos and iconostasis dating from 1732. The team of painters was led …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Construction of this church began after the death of St. William of Monte Vergine (1085-1142) and was entrusted to his disciples, known as the Eremiti (hermits) of Montevergine. It was completed by the end of 1148, when it was turned over to the Eremiti by Roger II with a charter stating that it was built at his expense. The exact date of construction is complicated by the presumed existence on the same site of a Roman temple, a Byzantine building, which was perhaps the Gregorian monastery of…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Campanile and monastery buildings visible.

    [The cloister (1579-ca. 1650) is also attributed to Palladio.] In 1560 Palladio began a series of works in the city of Venice. His refectory (1560-1563) at the Benedictine monastery of S Giorgio Maggiore on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore is in every sense a monumental testimony to Palladio’s urge to create a style in the manner of Classical antiquity that was both severe and imposing. The unusually high-placed windows, like the dimensions of…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tower is 98.6 metres (323 ft) tall, and stands alone in a corner of St Mark’s Square, near the front of the basilica. It has a simple form, the bulk of which is a fluted brick square shaft, 12 metres (39 ft) wide on each side and 50 metres (160 ft) tall, above which is a loggia surrounding the belfry, housing five bells. The belfry is topped by a cube, alternate faces of which show the Lion of St. Mark and the female representation of Venice (la Giustizia: Justice). The tower is cappe…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public