Architectural Lantern Slides

Collection Details Full Record

Description

The University of Notre Dame’s Architecture Library holds a set of about 4,500 “lantern slides” produced by the French company G. Massiot & cie. The collection is undated, but the photographs appear to have been taken between approximately 1870 and 1914, primarily between 1890 and 1910. Lantern slides were most popular, and often sold as pedagogical sets, in the early decades of the 20th century.

European architecture, with approximately 2,900 of the photographs, is the primary focus of the collection. Most come from France (~1,000) and Italy (~800); other countries are represented, but in significantly lower numbers. Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and the Americas combined are pictured in fewer than 500 slides. The remaining ~1,200 photographs represent paintings, sculpture, and decorative arts.

In 2007, the slides were cleaned and transferred to archivally-sound storage boxes. A selection of about 2,700 were scanned as 4800 DPI TIFFs, and lower-resolution versions were loaded into a Flickr collection. An image cataloger was hired to prepare records for each.

Although detailed and modern images of many of these sites exist, the lantern slides present an historical look at the sites, including many bystanders and artifacts which were intentionally or unintentionally a part of the image. The Egyptian set includes images of workmen and bearers, in attire of the period and using tools of the time. Many European images include photographs of persons in attire of the period. Means of conveyance from ox- or horse-drawn wagon to automobiles and streetcars are in the background of some images. The lantern slides may therefore be of interest to a wider audience than architecture historians and students.

Arrangement: The slides are arranged into country-level sub-collections based on notes taken from the original lantern slides. Because these images were created during the late 19th and early 20th century, the names of these countries reflects the countries and occupied colonial territories of the time. Collections include information about the 2017 name of the country as well as older place names. Images themselves generally have more modern location data, often including latitude and longitude, included.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Curator

Marsha Stevenson

Subject

Architecture

Related Resource(s)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ndalls/sets/72157605061425911/

Subcollections

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    See photographs by Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (Library of Congress). http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/

    During the 16th and 17th centuries Yaroslavl’ became one of the largest trading centres in Russia. St. John Chrysostom’s Church is in the Korovniki borough (Korovnitskaya) of Yaroslavl, across the Kotorosl River. The summer Church of Ioann Zlatoust [John Chrysostom] was built in 1649 and has frescos and iconostasis dating from 1732. The team of painters was led …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Church construction and economy in general rebounded in the reign of Alexander III (1881-1894). In thirteen and a half years, the properties of the Russian Orthodox church increased by more than 5,000 places of worship; in 1891 the list expanded with Siberian towns along the emerging Trans-Siberian Railway. Large Neo-Byzantine (the officially endorsed style) cathedrals erected in Russia followed either the single-dome or the five-dome plan. Restoration of historical churches so far has a mixe…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It is dedicated to Saint Ambrose of Milan and Saint Charles Borromeo. Its construction was begun in honor of the canonization of St. Charles Borromeo in 1610, under the direction of Onorio Longhi and, after his death, of his son Martino Longhi the Younger. It is chiefly remarkable for introducing such north Italian (Lombard) features as the continuous ambulatory (reminiscent of Milan Cathedral) into the mainstream of Roman architecture. The dome, resembling that of Santi Luca e Martina, was d…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The current edifice is largely a reconstruction from 1498-1504. The dome, built between 1504 and 1508, perhaps on a design by Cozzarelli was built at the expense of the signore of Siena, Pandolfo Petrucci. It has a notable Renaissance portal (1519) by Baldassarre Peruzzi, while the interior houses numerous artworks by artists including Il Sodoma and Francesco Vanni. The sacristy is located where there was once a cloister.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Construction of this church began after the death of St. William of Monte Vergine (1085-1142) and was entrusted to his disciples, known as the Eremiti (hermits) of Montevergine. It was completed by the end of 1148, when it was turned over to the Eremiti by Roger II with a charter stating that it was built at his expense. The exact date of construction is complicated by the presumed existence on the same site of a Roman temple, a Byzantine building, which was perhaps the Gregorian monastery of…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The original simple chapel was extended to form a complex structure with refined decoration according to well-established Lombard formulae. The ornamented facade is attributed to the sculptor and architect Giovanni Antonio Amadeo (elsewhere to Giangasparo Pedoni). The building was bombed in WWII and largely destroyed (and rebuilt), but the original facade was saved. Amadeo made considerable use of all'antica ornament. Antonio della Porta’s earliest documented works are here as well; t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [The lower church is by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger built in 1525. The two side doors and the drum, dome and lantern were added by Del Duca between 1573-1577. Anthony Blunt refers to lantern as “a brilliant but fantastic structure which deeply shocked his successors and was never imitated.”] Two important ecclesiastical commissions for Giacomo date from the mid-1570s. S Maria di Loreto, Rome, had been begun by Donato Bramante ca. 1507 and continued by Sangallo. Built on a restri…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Note the trolley on tracks along with horse-drawn vehicles.

    The interior is elliptical. There are seven small chapels, decorated in polychrome marble. The church of SS Nome di Maria in Trajan’s Forum was Derizet’s most important work. Cardinal Lodovico Pico della Mirandola greatly favoured Derizet’s project and imposed it on the Confraternity. Although initial drawings (Berlin, Kstbib.) show a determinedly Rococo design, with a two-storey, pedimented, curved façade, the final bui…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    View ca. 1910-1914.

    Studies by the excavator, Forlati, indicate that S Marco was a centrally planned, Greek-cross building from the start. The present building was begun ca. 1063 under Doge Domenico Contarini (reg 1043-1071), who wished it to reflect the increased power and wealth of Venice. He preserved the earlier foundations and reused some of the outside walls and brickwork of the earlier building. It was consecrated in 1094. S Marco is built of brick with a marble facing. It is centrall…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Studies by the excavator, Forlati, indicate that S Marco was a centrally planned, Greek-cross building from the start. The present building was begun ca. 1063 under Doge Domenico Contarini (reg 1043-1071), who wished it to reflect the increased power and wealth of Venice. He preserved the earlier foundations and reused some of the outside walls and brickwork of the earlier building. It was consecrated in 1094. S Marco is built of brick with a marble facing. It is centrally planned, on a Greek…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Studies by the excavator, Forlati, indicate that S Marco was a centrally planned, Greek-cross building from the start. The present building was begun ca. 1063 under Doge Domenico Contarini (reg 1043-1071), who wished it to reflect the increased power and wealth of Venice. He preserved the earlier foundations and reused some of the outside walls and brickwork of the earlier building. It was consecrated in 1094. S Marco is built of brick with a marble facing. It is centrally planned, on a Greek…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    View ca. 1910-1914. The eastern arm of the Greek cross plan has a raised presbytery with a crypt beneath. The presbytery is separated by an altar screen formed by eight red marble columns crowned with a high Crucifix and statues by Pier Paolo and Jacobello Dalle Masegne, masterpiece of Gothic sculpture (late 14th century).

    Studies by the excavator, Forlati, indicate that S Marco was a centrally planned, Greek-cross building from the start. The present building was begun ca. 1063 under Doge D…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public