Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Church of Our Lady Victorious is an Early Baroque building , dating back to 1611, was rebuilt from 1634 to 1669 by the Carmelite order. Contains a statuette of the Infant Jesus of Prague.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    According to tradition, the parish church of Sant Miquel occupies the site of a mosque where the first Mass was celebrated following the reconquest of 1229. That building was consecrated as a church until it made way for a Gothic church built in the late fourteenth century. The new construction followed the type of the time with with a single-cell nave and chapels between the buttresses. Only the facade and square bell tower topped by a pyramidal top remain unaltered. The facade has sculpture…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An inscription on the façade records that the present church, which was built from west to east, was begun in 1329. It has been called “perhaps the most logically and most scientifically planned of the great Catalan buildings, a simplification of, yet an advance upon, the plan of the cathedral” (Bevan). Situated in the maritime quarter of the city, it was put up quite quickly with the support of noble families, merchants, guilds and confraternities. S Maria del Mar has an aisled nav…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Plaza de la Catedral houses both the Cathedral and the Baroque church of Santiago. It was the former headquarters of the College of the Society of Jesus; only the church remains, rebuilt after destruction in 1596. It has Ionic pilasters which contrast against the white oyster shell stucco. It was designed by Alonso Romero, a Jesuit brother.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Fribourg has numerous 16th-century fountains. These great basins with columns in the middle, surmounted by biblical or allegorical figures, originally served as a source of drinkable water. They were made of limestone, but, due to shifting traffic patterns, most have been repositioned and replaced by copies. This fountain is in the original position and has a composite capital with the heads of Herod, Herodias, Salome, and St. John the Baptist, topped with a full figure of St. John the Baptis…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The statue to the left is a monument to Father (Pere) Grégoire Girard (1765-1850), a Jesuit teacher, by Joseph Simon Volmar (erected 1860). The steeple spire has since been altered.

    During the Reformation Fribourg remained Roman Catholic and became a center for the Counter-Reformation. Notre-Dame is a Romanesque church, built at the end of the 12th century, altered in the 18th century, with the addition of a Baroque facade. The interior contains an 18th century Neapolitan nativity scene (cre…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Description:

    Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Romanesque façade dates from ca. 1240 and was restored in 1910 by the architect Raffaele Faccioli.

    Church dedicated by Innocent IV in 1251 to St Dominic. It has been enlarged several times, and the present interiors are the work of Carlo Francesco Dotti, who remodelled (1728-1732) the church in the early 17th-century Bolognese style. It is notable chiefly as the home of the tomb of St Dominic, the Arca di S Domenico. The design of the tomb is generally credited to Nicola Pisano (now alte…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The neo-Gothic marble façade, by Nicolò Matas, dates from 1857-1863. The statue on the left is of Dante Alighieri (1865 by Enrico Pazzi).

    [The Basilica is the largest Franciscan church in the world. It is the burial place of some of the most illustrious Italians, such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Foscolo, Gentile, Rossini, and Marconi, thus it is known also as the Temple of the Italian Glories (Tempio dell'Itale Glorie). Additions made in 1560 by Giorgio Vasari; facade dates to…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Description:

    Lantern slides created in France during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches and cathedrals, castles, palaces, public buildings, bridges, sculpture, artifacts taken from other countries, and street scenes. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Description:

    Lantern slides created in Austria during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include church exteriors and interiors, as well as monuments and statues to notable figures and ceremonial arches. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy.

    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This statue has been moved from the crypt to a side chapel of the nave and assembled into one monument to Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette.

    The change during the Renaissance in attitudes towards the affirmation of the individual is reflected in the later royal tombs at Saint-Denis. As with the medieval tombs, some were commissioned for the abbey, while others were brought in at a later date from their original places in various Paris churches, having been dismantled during the Revolution and r…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public