Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove × Type of Work: Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A church in Rome, Italy.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Roman Catholic church and minor basilica in Padua, Veneto, Northern Italy, dedicated to St. Anthony. Construction probably began around 1232 and was completed in 1310, with changes made at the end of the 14th century and the mid-15th century. The church is without a precise architectural style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A church in Ravenna, Italy, built in the fifth century AD. In the Middle Ages the Benedictines annexed to it an important monastery. In the 14th century both the church and monastery were renovated in the Gothic style. The church was almost totally destroyed in World War II and has since been heavily restored.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A titular minor basilica in the Trastevere district of Rome. It is one of the oldest churches of Rome. The basic floor plan and wall structure of the church date back to the 340s, and much of the structure to 1140-43.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Roman Catholic church. A church existed on the site by the 12th century but it was rebuilt and enlarged in the 16th century. The Baroque façade was built in 1613 and the bell tower completed in 1738. The Loggia del Papa, adjacent to the church, is a 15th-century Renaissance architecture, open-air arcade.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A 17th century church in Rome, Italy, devoted to St. Catherine of Siena. The first church was first built ca. 1575 and originally belonged to an adjacent convent. Construction of the present church began in 1608. The present facade was completed between 1631-1641.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A demolished church in Vatican City, which was on the west side of the Piazza Santa Marta where the Tribunal Palace now stands and just south of Santo Stefano degli Abissini. The church had its origins in 1538 and was restored in the early 17th century by Pope Paul V. In 1930, as a result of the establishment of Vatican City as an independent state, the church was demolished.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally part of a Benedictine convent (destroyed in Napoleonic times). For S Maria in Organo, Sanmicheli designed a stone façade (1547) that was completed only up to the level of the main entablature; above it there would probably have been an attic storey with a pediment at the centre. The composition, with a central portal and side windows, is common to other Veronese churches. The most famous works inside the church are the wood inlays (intarsia) of the choir and sacristy, which depict …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The façade shows the typical bichrome marble decoration of the Pistoiese Romanesque style, executed in the mid-12th century by Gruamonte and his brother Adeodatus, who was also responsible for the sculptures and for the portal’s architrave depicting the “Voyage of the Magi”.

    Giovanni Pisano’s first pulpit, in S Andrea, Pistoia, was begun ca. 1298, partly executed in Pisa and finished in 1301, the date of the inscription, which describes the sculptor as the ‘son of Nicol…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The sanctuary (Santuario della Santa Casa) consists of the basilica of S Maria, beneath the dome of which is situated the Santa Casa, the Holy House of the Virgin, encased within a structure designed by Bramante in 1509. The birthplace of the Virgin in Nazareth was popularly believed to have been rescued from infidels by angels, who transported finally to its present location in December 1295. The basilica is a Late Gothic structure continued by Giuliano da Maiano, Giuliano da Sangallo and Br…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Founded by the Dominicans in 1125 as part of their friary. Also known as Basilica Cateriniana, since it contains several relics of St. Catherine of Siena, whose family house is nearby. The interior is on the Egyptian cross plan with a huge nave covered by trusses and with a transept featuring high chapels. The bell tower was reduced in height after an earthquake in 1798.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The adjective fuoricivitas (a mix of Italian and Latin meaning “outside the city”) refers to the fact that, when it was founded during the Lombard rule in Italy, was located outside the city walls. Its appearance is mostly defined by its northern side, originally parallel to now disappeared walls. The southern side faces the cloister, while the apse side and the façade are barely visible due to the nearby edifices. The northern side has most of the external decorations, including a …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public