Architectural Lantern Slides of Russia (includes present-day Ukraine and Georgia)

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in the Russian Empire during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include cathedrals, churches, museums, and palaces. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Regions included in this collection comprise the present-day states of Russia, Ukraine, and Georgia.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Cathedrals

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Architecture

Spatial Coverage

Ostankino

Odessa

Moscow

Zvenigorod

Kolomenskoye

Saint Petersburg

Russia

Tsarskoe Selo

Bat'umi

Kiev

Yaroslavl

Irkutsk

Tbilisi

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Russia (includes present-day Ukraine and Georgia) remove × Type of Work: Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A church, possibly Church of St. John Chrysostom, in Yaroslavl, Russia.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tent roof is criss-crossed with white stone rhombus patterns.

    Built in 1532 by Vasily III (reigned 1505-1533) on a sloping hillside above the river, presumably as a thanks-offering for the birth of his son, later Ivan IV. The central, square plan is enclosed by a tall, multi-faceted polygon that supports an octagonal tower crowned with a tent roof, itself surmounted by a lantern and cupola. A covered gallery resting on an arcade and approached by three stairways surrounds the lower part …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    See photographs by Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (Library of Congress). http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/

    During the 16th and 17th centuries Yaroslavl’ became one of the largest trading centres in Russia. St. John Chrysostom’s Church is in the Korovniki borough (Korovnitskaya) of Yaroslavl, across the Kotorosl River. The summer Church of Ioann Zlatoust [John Chrysostom] was built in 1649 and has frescos and iconostasis dating from 1732. The team of painters was led …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Russian Orthodox cathedral in downtown Tiflis (now Tbilisi), Georgia, constructed during the Imperial Russian rule in the 1871-1872 and 1889-1897 and demolished by the Soviet authorities in 1930. The novel design of the cathedral became a standard for the emerging Neo-Byzantine style well before the cathedral was completed. Grimm reused a cross-shaped pattern invented by Roman Kuzmin, with four symmetrical apses tightly blended into the main volume (unlike the Hagia Sophia prototype with on…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Church construction and economy in general rebounded in the reign of Alexander III (1881-1894). In thirteen and a half years, the properties of the Russian Orthodox church increased by more than 5,000 places of worship; in 1891 the list expanded with Siberian towns along the emerging Trans-Siberian Railway. Large Neo-Byzantine (the officially endorsed style) cathedrals erected in Russia followed either the single-dome or the five-dome plan. Restoration of historical churches so far has a mixe…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A planned ramp was to be installed to provide access to the church, however, was later changed to a wooden staircase due to the steepness of the hill. The wooden ramp was later (in 1844) changed to a cast iron one.

    The Russian Empress Elizabeth (1709-1762) decided to construct a summer residence for herself, consisting of a palace and a church; she spent exorbitant sums of money on the grandiose baroque projects of her favourite architect, Bartolomeo Rastrelli. Although the exterior work was…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Following the 1877 Turko-Russian War, the Russians gained control of the port city of Batum. It became a naval base, fortified with money from the Rothschild and Nobel families and other industrialists, and new buildings were built, including a Russian Orthodox Cathedral [pp 88. The Georgian Orthodox church having been repressed by the Russian conquest. The cathedral was later destroyed during the Soviet era.]

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public