Architectural Lantern Slides

Collection Details Full Record

Description

The University of Notre Dame’s Architecture Library holds a set of about 4,500 “lantern slides” produced by the French company G. Massiot & cie. The collection is undated, but the photographs appear to have been taken between approximately 1870 and 1914, primarily between 1890 and 1910. Lantern slides were most popular, and often sold as pedagogical sets, in the early decades of the 20th century.

European architecture, with approximately 2,900 of the photographs, is the primary focus of the collection. Most come from France (~1,000) and Italy (~800); other countries are represented, but in significantly lower numbers. Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and the Americas combined are pictured in fewer than 500 slides. The remaining ~1,200 photographs represent paintings, sculpture, and decorative arts.

In 2007, the slides were cleaned and transferred to archivally-sound storage boxes. A selection of about 2,700 were scanned as 4800 DPI TIFFs, and lower-resolution versions were loaded into a Flickr collection. An image cataloger was hired to prepare records for each.

Although detailed and modern images of many of these sites exist, the lantern slides present an historical look at the sites, including many bystanders and artifacts which were intentionally or unintentionally a part of the image. The Egyptian set includes images of workmen and bearers, in attire of the period and using tools of the time. Many European images include photographs of persons in attire of the period. Means of conveyance from ox- or horse-drawn wagon to automobiles and streetcars are in the background of some images. The lantern slides may therefore be of interest to a wider audience than architecture historians and students.

Arrangement: The slides are arranged into country-level sub-collections based on notes taken from the original lantern slides. Because these images were created during the late 19th and early 20th century, the names of these countries reflects the countries and occupied colonial territories of the time. Collections include information about the 2017 name of the country as well as older place names. Images themselves generally have more modern location data, often including latitude and longitude, included.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Curator

Marsha Stevenson

Subject

Architecture

Related Resource(s)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ndalls/sets/72157605061425911/

Subcollections

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides remove × Type of Work: Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Echniadzin, meaning “The Descent of the Only Begotten Son” is an ancient capital located in Armenia. The Cathedral was erected in the 4th century by King Trdat III and Saint Gregory the Illuminator. It was built on top of a pagan temple that had been destroyed by King Trdat. The existing cathedral was rebuilt around 480 AD on the four bases that had survived from a 4th century cruciform basilica. The Cathedral’s present dome and belfry on the western side date from the 17th cent…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Echniadzin, meaning “The Descent of the Only Begotten Son” is an ancient capital located in Armenia. The Cathedral was erected in the 4th century by King Trdat III and Saint Gregory the Illuminator. It was built on top of a pagan temple that had been destroyed by King Trdat. The existing cathedral was rebuilt around 480 AD on the four bases that had survived from a 4th century cruciform basilica. The Cathedral’s present dome and belfry on the western side date from the 17th cent…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A church in Rome, Italy.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Nave and Screen possibly in the Royal Monastery of Brou, a religious complex located at Bourg-en-Bresse, France. Built by Margaret of Austria as a monument to the memory of her husband, Philibert the Fair, Duke of Savoy. Called a masterpiece of the Flamboyant Gotic style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A monument of the Flamboyant Gothic style, built from the end of the 13th century. The building suffered heavily during World War II, although is was among the only standing buildings after the 1944 bombings.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The current church was built between 1494 and 1657, on the site of two earlier churches. The facade, completed last, was the first example of the French baroque style in Paris.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A church in Paris, France, possibly on or near the Rue Saint-Honoré. The name of this church is possibly associated with Saint Honore.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Baptistere Saint-Jean is the oldest Catholic church in France, dating from the 4th century. The central part of the building was constructed around 360. From the twelfth to fourteenth century, the church was embellished by frescoes which are still visible today. The building was abandoned in 1791 during the revolution, confiscated from the church and sold to a private citizen. It was repurchased in 1834 and underwent restoration in the middle of the 20th century.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Roman Catholic church and minor basilica in Padua, Veneto, Northern Italy, dedicated to St. Anthony. Construction probably began around 1232 and was completed in 1310, with changes made at the end of the 14th century and the mid-15th century. The church is without a precise architectural style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A church in Ravenna, Italy, built in the fifth century AD. In the Middle Ages the Benedictines annexed to it an important monastery. In the 14th century both the church and monastery were renovated in the Gothic style. The church was almost totally destroyed in World War II and has since been heavily restored.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A titular minor basilica in the Trastevere district of Rome. It is one of the oldest churches of Rome. The basic floor plan and wall structure of the church date back to the 340s, and much of the structure to 1140-43.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Roman Catholic church. A church existed on the site by the 12th century but it was rebuilt and enlarged in the 16th century. The Baroque façade was built in 1613 and the bell tower completed in 1738. The Loggia del Papa, adjacent to the church, is a 15th-century Renaissance architecture, open-air arcade.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public