Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Site of Pre-Columbian Maya and Toltec city in the Yucatán peninsula, Mexico. It flourished during the Post-Classic period (ca. 900-1521 CE). Chichén Itzá (‘mouth of the well of the Itzá’) is named after its ‘Sacred Cenote’, a natural limestone sinkhole that served as a focus for pilgrimages and sacrificial offerings. Close artistic correspondences between Chichén Itzá and Tula in Hidalgo have suggested that the Central-Highland Mesoamericans invaded Yucatán and forced the loca…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pre-Columbian site in the Mexican Central Highlands. It was the region’s pre-eminent city during the Late Pre-Classic and Classic periods (c. 250 BC-c. AD 900). Little is known about their ethnic origins, but, with a population estimated at up to 200,000, in the 6th century AD Teotihuacán was the largest and most populous city in the Pre-Columbian Americas and sixth most populous in the world. The religion of Teotihuacan was similar to those of other Mesoamerican cultures. Many of the sam…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The seat of the Anglican Bishop of Carlisle. It is located in Carlisle, in Cumbria, North West England. It was founded as an Augustinian monastery and became a cathedral in 1133. Carlisle, because of heavy losses to its fabric, is the second smallest (after Oxford), of England’s ancient cathedrals. Its notable features include some fine figurative stone carving, a set of 15th century choir stalls and the largest window in the Flowing Decorated Gothic style in England (the East window).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This is the highest Gothic nave in England at 101 feet (31 meters).

    Rebuilt by King Edward the Confessor probably in the late 1040s, when he apparently also began the palace. The former Benedictine, now collegiate, church contains an immense quantity of monumental sculpture from the Middle Ages onwards, as well as important medieval paintings. The anonymous life of St Edward the Confessor, written 1065-1067, gives a long description of the parts of the abbey that existed when Edward died in …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rebuilt by King Edward the Confessor probably in the late 1040s, when he apparently also began the palace. The former Benedictine, now collegiate, church contains an immense quantity of monumental sculpture from the Middle Ages onwards, as well as important medieval paintings. The anonymous life of St Edward the Confessor, written 1065-1067, gives a long description of the parts of the abbey that existed when Edward died in January 1066. The Abbey became the coronation site of Norman kings, b…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    There are four steep stairways, one on each side, leading to three terraces, with four smaller prang at the corners and pavilions at the base of the stairways. The form is held to be a representation of the five peaks of the sacred mountain, Mt Meru, centre of the universe and abode of the gods. The ashes of King Rama II are buried in the base of the Buddha statue.

    A Buddhist temple (wat) in the Bangkok Yai district, on the Thonburi west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The full name of the te…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Buddhist temple (wat) in the Bangkok Yai district, on the Thonburi west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The full name of the temple is Wat Arunratchawararam Ratchaworamahawihan. Thonburi was the Thai capital for 15 years between the sack of Ayutthaya in 1767 and the establishment of the royal court at Bangkok in 1782, during which period the temple was built. Its restoration was undertaken in 1785 and included the enlargement of its most significant feature, a Khmer-style prang (tower-sanctu…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Buddhist temple (wat) in the Bangkok Yai district, on the Thonburi west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The full name of the temple is Wat Arunratchawararam Ratchaworamahawihan. Thonburi was the Thai capital for 15 years between the sack of Ayutthaya in 1767 and the establishment of the royal court at Bangkok in 1782, during which period the temple was built. Its restoration was undertaken in 1785 and included the enlargement of its most significant feature, a Khmer-style prang (tower-sanctu…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    From 1893 Berlage gradually succeeded in eliminating historicist forms from his buildings, coinciding with a general trend in architecture and the visual arts in Europe and the USA. Located on the Damrak, in the center of Amsterdam, the Beurs was designed as a commodity exchange. As a champion of Gesamtkunstwerk he included in this building all the visual arts, and in such a way that the work was executed entirely under his supervision in order to guarantee the concept of “Unity in Varie…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The American Hotel on the Leidseplein is a hotel and café restaurant with an Jugendstil reading room. It was built in 1898-1902 by W. Kromhout and W.G. Jansen in the style of Hendrik Petrus Berlage. In 1927-1928 an expansion was realized from a design by the architect G.J. Rutgers in collaboration with K. Bakker. Both the expansion and the café are National Heritage sites.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1251 fire destroyed part of the 11th-century cathedral. Rebuilding started after 1288, but a plan had already been made in 1254. The choir is heavily influenced by French Rayonnant churches. About 1315 the transepts were reached, but not built. Between 1321 and 1381 a single tower 112 m high was erected to the west of the old Romanesque nave. The Gothic transepts and the nave were built during the 15th century and early 16th, but the nave collapsed during the storm of 1674 and was never re…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The façade is divided by two string courses of sculpted knotted ropes.

    Fortified abbey ca. 45 km south-east of Leiria, Portugal. Tomar was the seat of the Portuguese branch of the Templars, which was dissolved in 1312. The Order of Christ was established in 1319 by King Diniz (reigned 1279-1325) to inherit the Templars’ property and traditions. The rotunda or Charola was begun in 1160, the typical round church of the Templars. It is a Romanesque-Gothic, centrally planned building against…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01