Architectural Lantern Slides of Russia (includes present-day Ukraine and Georgia)

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in the Russian Empire during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include cathedrals, churches, museums, and palaces. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Regions included in this collection comprise the present-day states of Russia, Ukraine, and Georgia.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Cathedrals

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Architecture

Spatial Coverage

Ostankino

Odessa

Moscow

Zvenigorod

Kolomenskoye

Saint Petersburg

Russia

Tsarskoe Selo

Bat'umi

Kiev

Yaroslavl

Irkutsk

Tbilisi

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Russia (includes present-day Ukraine and Georgia) remove × Type of Work: Doctoral Dissertation OR Master's Thesis OR Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd. In 1787-1792 Quarenghi designed and built a wing along the Winter Canal with the Raphael Loggias to replicate the loggia in the Apostolic Palace in Rome designed by Donato Bramante and frescoed by Raphael. The loggias in Saint Petersburg were adorned with copies of Vatican frescoes painted by Cristopher Unterberger and his workshop in the 1780s.

    In the reign of Catherine II a grand palace ensemble was created that served as an official state residence, a stor…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Alexander I of Russia nominated the Armoury as the first public museum in Moscow in 1806, but the collections were not opened to the public until 7 years later. It houses decorative arts as well as weapons (a treasury more than an armory).

    The Kremlin Armoury (Russian: Оружейная палата) is one of the oldest museums of Moscow, established in 1808 and located in the Moscow Kremlin. The Kremlin Armoury originated as the royal arsenal in 1508. Until the transfer of the court to St Petersburg, th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The finest Muscovite gunsmiths (the Vyatkin brothers), jewellers (Gavrila Ovdokimov), and painters (Simon Ushakov) used to work here in the 16th century.

    The Kremlin Armoury (Russian: Оружейная палата) is one of the oldest museums of Moscow, established in 1808 and located in the Moscow Kremlin. The Kremlin Armoury originated as the royal arsenal in 1508. Until the transfer of the court to St Petersburg, the Armoury was in charge of producing, purchasing and storing weapons, jewelry and vari…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd.

    In the reign of Catherine II a grand palace ensemble was created that served as an official state residence, a storehouse of art treasures, and also as a home where the Russian Empress spent her private life. Out of six buildings of the main palace (now museum) complex, four, namely the Winter Palace, Small Hermitage, Old Hermitage and New Hermitage, are partially open to the public. The other two are Hermitage Theatre and the Reserve House. Next to the Winte…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public