Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Germany during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches, cathedrals, houses, public buildings, synagogues, sculpture, and theaters. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

City halls

Architecture

Churches

City walls

Cathedrals

Fountains

Synagogues

Palaces

Hotels

Spatial Coverage

Bonn

Frankfurt

Munich

Wiesbaden

Stuttgart

Rothenburg

Hildesheim

Germany

Heidelberg

Nuremberg

Trier

Cologne

Koblenz

Berlin

Aachen

Augsburg

Hamburg

Potsdam

Mainz

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany remove × Type of Work: Doctoral Dissertation OR Master's Thesis OR Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Bassai (Bassae) frieze original is in the British Museum (room 16).

    The Glyptothek was commissioned by the Crown Prince (later King) Ludwig I of Bavaria alongside other projects, such as the neighboring Königsplatz and the building which houses the State Collection of Greek and Roman Antiquities, as a monument to ancient Greece. He envisioned a “German Athens”, in which the ancient Greek culture would be remembered; he had this built in front of the gates of Munich. The layout …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Glyptothek was commissioned by the Crown Prince (later King) Ludwig I of Bavaria alongside other projects, such as the neighboring Königsplatz and the building which houses the State Collection of Greek and Roman Antiquities, as a monument to ancient Greece. He envisioned a “German Athens”, in which the ancient Greek culture would be remembered; he had this built in front of the gates of Munich. The layout of the Königsplatz complex was designed by the architects Karl von Fische…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Heidelberg was the seat of the Electors Palatine from 1329. The castle, whose ruined buildings in the early 19th century were an important source of inspiration for the German Romantic movement, reflects Heidelberg’s greatest period of prosperity in the 16th century and the early 17th. The castle has only been partially rebuilt since its demolition in the 17th and 18th centuries. It is located 80 metres (260 ft) up the northern part of the Königstuhl hillside, and thereby dominates the vi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built as the main synagogue of the Berlin Jewish community, on Oranienburger Strasse. Because of its splendid eastern Moorish style and resemblance to the Alhambra, it is an important architectural monument of the second half of the 19th century in Berlin. Following Knoblauch’s illness, Friedrich August Stüler took responsibility for the majority of its construction as well as for its interior design. It was inaugurated in the presence of Count Otto von Bismarck in 1866. It was badly dama…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Located to the left of the high altar. To the right the open left wing of the altarpiece (Twelve Apostles Altar) is visible. The tabernacle is polychromed stone and dates from 1448. The Communion host is kept behind the small doors in the center.

    Jakobskirche was originally on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela. In 1266 a chapel of the Holy Blood was consecrated. Rothenburg became an independent parish in 1286, and the church was subsequently rebuilt from east to west, starting w…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Column in the nave; choir stalls to the right. Coats of arms on the walls.

    The Franciscan Church is the oldest church of Rothenburg; the former monastic church is today an Evangelical-Lutheran parish church. The monastery (Franziskanerkloster) was begun 1281 and abandoned after 1548 at the Reformation. The various monastery buildings were used by the city, but eventually have been destroyed, except for the church. The stained glass windows were made by Johannes Schreiter. It has a “Lett…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Holy Blood altarpiece is in the gallery of the west choir and portrays the Last Supper. The shrine enclosure for the altarpiece takes the form of a chapel with a glazed polygonal miniature chancel. This was a commission by the town council and the contract given to the sculptor was very detailed, specifying exact dimensions, scenes and figures. The altarpiece was to be a giant reliquary for the drop of Christ’s blood that was preserved at the church and was a greatly revered object of…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Carved limewood, dated ca. 1500. The three central figures are St. Sebastian, St. Wolfgang and St. Rochus (Roche). The wings are painted with scenes of the Wolfgang legend.

    Also known as the Shepherds Church, the Late Gothic St.-Wolfgangs-Church had a double function. With its embrasures and underground casements, it was also part of the Klingentor fortifications, attached to the base of the tower. It has three carved altarpieces, all dating ca. 1500.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The interior furnishings of the cathedral are Baroque, begun in 1702.

    The cathedral founded in the early 4th century was a double cathedral, consisting of adjacent basilicas that underlie the present cathedral (north) and the 13th-century Liebfrauenkirche (south). In its present form the cathedral of St. Peter started to take shape from 1037 and continued through the 13th century. Work began on a Baroque renovation of the cathedral interior; in 1702 a shrine chapel for the Holy Robe was buil…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Zwinger (Der Dresdner Zwinger) is a palace in Dresden, built in Baroque style by Frederick-Augustus I. It served as the orangery, exhibition gallery and festival arena of the Dresden Court. The location was formerly part of the Dresden fortress of which the outer wall is conserved. The name derives from the German word Zwinger (outer ward of a concentric castle). It began as a new garden laid out in 1709 to a sketch plan by the Elector himself. The two-storey gateway at the centre, the Kr…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [Aachen is Aix-la-Chapelle in French.] Aachen Cathedral, frequently referred to as the “Imperial Cathedral” (Kaiserdom), was known as the “Royal Church of St. Mary at Aachen” during the Middle Ages. For 600 years, from 936 to 1531, the Aachen chapel (Palantine Chapel) was the church of coronation for 30 German kings and 12 queens. Dedicated to the Virgin, the chapel was nearing completion in 798, according to a letter of Alcuin. A lost inscription inside the building ascri…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Düsseldorf Academy was founded in 1773 by the Elector Palatine Carl Theodor as “Kurfürstlich-Pfälzische Academie der Maler, Bildhauer- und Baukunst” (Elector of Palatine’s Academy of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture). In 1819 it was designated the Royal Academy of Arts for the Rhine provinces of Prussia. The Kunstakademie, which had occupied part of the castle since 1821, was rehoused in a new Renaissance-style building by Hermann Riffart (1840-1919). Today it is a publi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01