Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Type of Work: Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    San Cataldo is a notable example of Norman architecture. The church is annexed to that of Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio [La Martorana]. Founded around 1160 by admiral Majone di Bari, in the 18th century the church was used as a post office. In the 19th century it was restored and brought back to a Medieval form. It has a rectangular plan with blind arches, partially occupied by windows. The ceiling has three characteristics red, bulge domes (cubole) and Arab-style merlons. The interior has …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cathedral is a basilica with double aisles of different widths, a matroneo (“women’s gallery”) and an apsidal east end. The new façade was begun (ca. 1110-1125) by Rainaldo and his workshop, who probably also lengthened the nave by three bays. The cathedral was consecrated in 1118 under Pope Gelasius (reigned 1118-1119). The façade was possibly completed ca. 1165 by Guglielmo and his school.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The construction of the Duomo Nuovo involved the most influential local architects. Ludovico Beretta prepared a design (untraced) in 1566 for the proposed rebuilding of Brescia Cathedral, which in 1567 was admired by Palladio for its ‘bella invenzione’; the cathedral was eventually reconstructed to a project (1604) by Giovanni Battista Lantana (1581-1627). Giovan Battista Marchetti (1686-1758) was responsible for the design of the façade and Rodolfo Vantini (1791-1865) for the steep d…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cathedral is a basilica with double aisles of different widths, a matroneo (“women’s gallery”) and an apsidal east end. The new façade was begun (ca. 1110-1125) by Rainaldo and his workshop, who probably also lengthened the nave by three bays. The cathedral was consecrated in 1118 under Pope Gelasius (reigned 1118-1119). The façade was possibly completed ca. 1165 by Guglielmo and his school.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The campanile is the famous leaning tower (Torre pendente di Pisa), begun 1173.

    The cathedral is a basilica with double aisles of different widths, a matroneo (“women’s gallery”) and an apsidal east end. The new façade was begun (ca. 1110-1125) by Rainaldo and his workshop, who probably also lengthened the nave by three bays. The cathedral was consecrated in 1118 under Pope Gelasius (reigned 1118-1119). The façade was possibly completed ca. 1165 by Guglielmo and his school.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Side of cathedral with south porch to the left, apse and dome in center, and towers visible to the right. This external wall is largely 12th century except for the dome (18th century) and porch (added 1453).

    Palermo Cathedral fuses the Latin basilican plan with the centralized Byzantine one. The four corner towers were completed in the 14th century, and the portal of the west façade is dated 1352-1353. In 1426 Antonio Gambara constructed the south portal, with wooden doors (1432) carved by F…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Construction of this church began after the death of St. William of Monte Vergine (1085-1142) and was entrusted to his disciples, known as the Eremiti (hermits) of Montevergine. It was completed by the end of 1148, when it was turned over to the Eremiti by Roger II with a charter stating that it was built at his expense. The exact date of construction is complicated by the presumed existence on the same site of a Roman temple, a Byzantine building, which was perhaps the Gregorian monastery of…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The original simple chapel was extended to form a complex structure with refined decoration according to well-established Lombard formulae. The ornamented facade is attributed to the sculptor and architect Giovanni Antonio Amadeo (elsewhere to Giangasparo Pedoni). The building was bombed in WWII and largely destroyed (and rebuilt), but the original facade was saved. Amadeo made considerable use of all'antica ornament. Antonio della Porta’s earliest documented works are here as well; t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [The lower church is by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger built in 1525. The two side doors and the drum, dome and lantern were added by Del Duca between 1573-1577. Anthony Blunt refers to lantern as “a brilliant but fantastic structure which deeply shocked his successors and was never imitated.”] Two important ecclesiastical commissions for Giacomo date from the mid-1570s. S Maria di Loreto, Rome, had been begun by Donato Bramante ca. 1507 and continued by Sangallo. Built on a restri…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Note the trolley on tracks along with horse-drawn vehicles.

    The interior is elliptical. There are seven small chapels, decorated in polychrome marble. The church of SS Nome di Maria in Trajan’s Forum was Derizet’s most important work. Cardinal Lodovico Pico della Mirandola greatly favoured Derizet’s project and imposed it on the Confraternity. Although initial drawings (Berlin, Kstbib.) show a determinedly Rococo design, with a two-storey, pedimented, curved façade, the final bui…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    View ca. 1910-1914.

    Studies by the excavator, Forlati, indicate that S Marco was a centrally planned, Greek-cross building from the start. The present building was begun ca. 1063 under Doge Domenico Contarini (reg 1043-1071), who wished it to reflect the increased power and wealth of Venice. He preserved the earlier foundations and reused some of the outside walls and brickwork of the earlier building. It was consecrated in 1094. S Marco is built of brick with a marble facing. It is centrall…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Studies by the excavator, Forlati, indicate that S Marco was a centrally planned, Greek-cross building from the start. The present building was begun ca. 1063 under Doge Domenico Contarini (reg 1043-1071), who wished it to reflect the increased power and wealth of Venice. He preserved the earlier foundations and reused some of the outside walls and brickwork of the earlier building. It was consecrated in 1094. S Marco is built of brick with a marble facing. It is centrally planned, on a Greek…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public