Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Germany during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include churches, cathedrals, houses, public buildings, synagogues, sculpture, and theaters. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Bridges

Theaters

City halls

Architecture

Churches

City walls

Cathedrals

Fountains

Synagogues

Palaces

Hotels

Spatial Coverage

Bonn

Frankfurt

Munich

Wiesbaden

Stuttgart

Rothenburg

Hildesheim

Germany

Heidelberg

Nuremberg

Trier

Cologne

Koblenz

Berlin

Aachen

Augsburg

Hamburg

Potsdam

Mainz

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Germany remove × Type of Work: Doctoral Dissertation OR Master's Thesis OR Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This Baroque style fountain (named Liebfrauenbrunnen), was erected on the Liebfrauenberg, formerly one of Frankfurt’s most posh locations, in 1769. The conical centre of the fountain consists of a rustic obelisk, copied (restored) by Kurt Zobel in 1970.

    Views of Frankfurt am Main distributed by the French company G. Massiot & Cie (actual photographer unknown). Distributed before 1912. Large sections of the Altstadt were rebuilt after World War II bombing and so only a few old buildin…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Part of reconstruction (1981-1984) of six houses at the east side of the Römerberg which were destroyed in World War II.

    Views of Frankfurt am Main distributed by the French company G. Massiot & Cie (actual photographer unknown). Distributed before 1912. Large sections of the Altstadt were rebuilt after World War II bombing and so only a few old buildings are actually preserved today. The surrounding buildings (houses and shops) of the Römerberg (square around the city hall) are largely …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Views of Frankfurt am Main distributed by the French company G. Massiot & Cie (actual photographer unknown). Distributed before 1912. Large sections of the Altstadt were rebuilt after World War II bombing and so only a few old buildings are actually preserved today. The surrounding buildings (houses and shops) of the Römerberg (square around the city hall) are largely reconstructions today. These views show the area before WWII.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Views of Frankfurt am Main distributed by the French company G. Massiot & Cie (actual photographer unknown). Distributed before 1912. Large sections of the Altstadt were rebuilt after World War II bombing and so only a few old buildings are actually preserved today. The surrounding buildings (houses and shops) of the Römerberg (square around the city hall) are largely reconstructions today. These views show the area before WWII.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Sixteenth century German domestic architecture.

    German town in Middle Franconia, Bavaria, with a population of 12,500, lying on a plateau 100 m above the River Tauber on its right bank. It is remarkable for being preserved as a complete 16th-century town bearing little evidence of later centuries, and for its intact fortifications (12th-14th century). The town became an Imperial Free City in 1274. The town was bombed in March of 1945, destroying 306 houses, six public buildings, nine watchto…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    German town in Middle Franconia, Bavaria, with a population of 12,500, lying on a plateau 100 m above the River Tauber on its right bank. It is remarkable for being preserved as a complete 16th-century town bearing little evidence of later centuries, and for its intact fortifications (12th-14th century). The town became an Imperial Free City in 1274. The town was bombed in March of 1945, destroying 306 houses, six public buildings, nine watchtowers, and over 2,000 feet (610 m) of the wall. Af…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Sixteenth century German domestic architecture with first floor shops and stepped (corbie) gables.

    The house known as the Baumeisterhaus, which was built by Weidmann in 1596 for a town councillor, is the most important Renaissance building in Rothenburg, notable for the particularly rich figurative decoration on its façade. [The facade is decorated with two rows (on two floors) of seven herms. One set represents the Seven Vices or Sins and the other set the Seven Virtues.]

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This building was destroyed in World War II.

    The marketplace is located in Stuttgart -Mitte Stuttgart immediately in front of the Stuttgart City Hall, (the Gothic Revival Rathaus dated from 1899-1903; it was destroyed 1944). The origins of the marketplace go back to the year in 1304. The open air market is still held several days weekly and is also part of the large Christmas Market in Stuttgart. Most of the buildings were 16th to 18th century; all of them were destroyed in the bombings. [Ge…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    These buildings were destroyed in World War II.

    The marketplace is located in Stuttgart -Mitte Stuttgart immediately in front of the Stuttgart City Hall, (the Gothic Revival Rathaus dated from 1899-1903; it was destroyed 1944). The origins of the marketplace go back to the year in 1304. The open air market is still held several days weekly and is also part of the large Christmas Market in Stuttgart. Most of the buildings were 16th to 18th century; all of them were destroyed in the bombings. …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Nuremberg’s many fine merchants’ houses were very solid, very comfortable and very conservative in style. The Toplerhaus was built by Wolf Topler in 1590 and expanded in 1597. It served as the German National Museum starting in 1853 and was destroyed during WWII. Because of a decision to expand the Straßenverbreiterung, it was not rebuilt.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Views of Nuremberg distributed by the French company G. Massiot & Cie (actual photographer unknown). Distributed before 1912. Nuremberg was heavily bombed during WWII, so these serve as historic documentation of older domestic housing.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Nuremberg’s many fine merchants’ houses were very solid, very comfortable and very conservative in style. In the 13th century timber-framed houses were introduced, and they remained the most popular style for the next 200 years; the late 15th-century house acquired by Dürer in 1509 is one of few examples that escaped being faced with stone in accordance with the fire laws.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public