Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Type of Work: Doctoral Dissertation OR Master's Thesis OR Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 2004 the building underwent a £1.7 million restoration, having been previously restored in 1904. The OMH is a scheduled monument. There is now a clock in place of the topmost north gable window in this view. The statue below is the Duke of York.

    Shrewsbury is a historic market town with the town centre having a largely unaltered medieval street plan. The Old Market Hall is an Elizabethan building situated in the town centre, built in 1596. The Hall, an example of Late Tudor influence with…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Trade was strongly stimulated by the foundation of the Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie (East India Company; 1602). A merchants’ exchange (1597) and the creation of an exchange bank following the establishment in the town of the Merchant Adventurers (1635) promoted international trade. Rotterdam has the oldest bourse [organization] in the Netherlands. The third Rotterdam stock building was designed by the architect Adriaen van der Werf and constructed at the Westnieuwland in 1736. The bui…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built to a design by Francesco Boffo and Gregorio Toricelli in 1828-1834. In front of the hall (in the small square known as Dumaskaya or Dums'ka) is a monument to Alexander Pushkin who spent 13 months in Odessa. First built as the Stock Exchange, it is now the City Hall. The statues on the facade represent Day and Night.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Originally the three upper floors were used to store grain while the cellar provided storage for barrels of wine from tithes and domaines. The ground floor is an open market arcade. It was turned into a festival venue in 1893, and is still a city cultural center (with a restaurant known as the Kornhauskeller). The Kornhaus bridge to the area was built 1898.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    It was the large central wholesale marketplace, which was demolished in 1971, to be replaced with an underground modern shopping precinct, the present Forum des Halles. Les Halles was the traditional central market of Paris. In 1183, King Philippe II Auguste enlarged the marketplace in Paris and built a shelter for the merchants, who came from all over to sell their wares. In the 1850s (second design, 1853), the massive glass and iron buildings Les Halles became known for were constructed. Te…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    German town in Middle Franconia, Bavaria, with a population of 12,500, lying on a plateau 100 m above the River Tauber on its right bank. It is remarkable for being preserved as a complete 16th-century town bearing little evidence of later centuries, and for its intact fortifications (12th-14th century). The town became an Imperial Free City in 1274. The town was bombed in March of 1945, destroying 306 houses, six public buildings, nine watchtowers, and over 2,000 feet (610 m) of the wall. Af…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The 14th century city hall lies between two city squares, the Markt (market place) and the Katschhof (between city hall and cathedral). The coronation hall is on the first floor of the building. Inside are five frescoes by the Aachen artist Alfre Rethel which show legendary scenes from the life of Charlemagne, as well as Charlemagne’s signature. The construction was begun in 1330, building on the foundations of a ruined palace (the Aula Regia of the imperial palace, from the Carolingian p…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The great Cloth Hall, symbol of the town’s commercial importance and a prototype for the Brabantine Gothic town hall, was begun in the 13th century and finished at the beginning of the 14th. It was one of the largest commercial buildings of the Middle Ages, when it served as the main market and warehouse for the Flemish city’s prosperous cloth industry. The structure which stands today is the exact copy of the original medieval building, rebuilt after World War I. The belfry that surm…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Cathedral visible in center background. View taken before damage in World War I (May, 1915).

    The great Cloth Hall, symbol of the town’s commercial importance and a prototype for the Brabantine Gothic town hall, was begun in the 13th century and finished at the beginning of the 14th. It was one of the largest commercial buildings of the Middle Ages, when it served as the main market and warehouse for the Flemish city’s prosperous cloth industry. The structure which stands today is the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the 11th century a stone keep (Gravensteen Castle, restored) was built on the south-west of Oudburg Island. As described in written sources, this ‘domus lapidea’ was rectangular (ca. 13.5 x 31 m); it is partially preserved in the present castle, which essentially dates from ca. 1180 (built by count Philip of Alsace). The presence of this building fostered trade and house construction along the banks of the Leie. The city’s oldest market, the Vismarkt (now the Groentemarkt), was…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Gothic Revival palace (partially visible to the left in this view) was not completed until ca. 1900-1911.

    The city hall of Mechelen is located on the east side of the Grote Markt and consists of three parts: the Palace of the Grand Council, the belfry (belfort) and the Cloth Hall (Lakenhal). The cloth hall was built in the 14th century, as was the belfry. The belfry tower was never finished as planned and part of the building to the north was demolished to make way for the Palace in 1526…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public