Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Spain during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include cathedrals, churches, monasteries, mosques, palaces, public buildings, and tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Ruins

Cathedrals

Convents

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Arenas

Monuments

Basilicas

Architecture

City halls

Spatial Coverage

Spain

Guarrazar

Seville

Granada

Burgos

Barcelona

Segovia

Ávila

Córdoba

Madrid

Salamanca

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The first monastery to be built in the city after the reconquest by the Christians, this monastery is noted for its picturesque courtyards, the Spanish Baroque-style sacristy and significant paintings and sculpture. The church is a basilica with a crossing and side chapels, with a Capilla Mayor which contains the crypt of the “Gran Capitan”, Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba (1453-1515). Work on the east end of S Jerónimo was begun by the ‘Florentine’, Jacopo Torni (1525-1526), b…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Order of the Knights of St. James entrusted Pedro de Larrea (active 1506-1514) with the rebuilding of their hospital, the Convento de S Marcos, on the pilgrimage route just outside the city, and León gained a major monument. The hospital façade, executed in the 1530s under Martin de Villareal, is in the Plateresque style and is notable for the fine carving of figurative and ornamental details. A church (dedicated 1541) in a Hispano-Flemish Gothic style was joined to the hospital; Guillelm…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Sanctuary complex at the birthplace of Ignatius loyola near Azpeitia, in Basque country. The Loyolas’ manor house (1387-1405), now known as the Santa Casa, is a relatively simple building, 16 m square, and contains the chapel of the Conversion and that of the Immaculate Conception. In 1681 Mariana of Austria, widow of Philip IV, bought the house and gave it to the Jesuits, and in the same year she commissioned Carlo Fontana to design a college and church for the site. Construction began i…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    San Francisco, begun in 1314, initially had a wooden roof, but in the third quarter of the 14th century this was replaced by a stone vault; the church also has a fine, two-storey cloister. The Baroque façade (which is austere except for the rose window by Pere Comas and elaborate sculpted portal) was rebuilt by Francisco de Herrera in the seventeenth century.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A number of religious orders had splendid houses built, for example the Dominican monastery of S Esteban (1590-1599). Its church (1524) by Juan de Alava contains a retable (1692) by José Benito de Churriguera. The complex contains the monumental church and several convent rooms, including a sacristy, a capitol hall, three cloisters and a library. The main portal of the church was decorated between 1590 and 1660. The tympanum shows a sculpture of the “Martyrdom of St. Stephen”, by Ju…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pulpit on the right side.

    This monastery was constructed in 1482 with funding from los Reyes Católicos, Fernando and Isabel, and is the burial place of their only son, Don Juan, who died here aged 19. The prince’s tomb is modelled from alabaster carved by the Florentine Domenico di Sandro Fancelli. The headquarters of the royals’ adviser and confessor, the notorious Friar Tomás Torquemada, were also based here. Besides the church (with eight side chapels with ribbed vaults), it is a …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This monastery was constructed in 1482 with funding from los Reyes Católicos, Fernando and Isabel, and is the burial place of their only son, Don Juan, who died here aged 19. The prince’s tomb is modelled from alabaster carved by the Florentine Domenico di Sandro Fancelli. The headquarters of the royals’ adviser and confessor, the notorious Friar Tomás Torquemada, were also based here. Besides the church (with eight side chapels with ribbed vaults), it is a three cloister complex; Nov…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The charterhouse was founded as a royal residence and later converted into a monastery of the Carthusian order. The monastery existed from 1399 until its secularization in 1835 under the Ecclesiastical Confiscations of Mendizábal. The monastery is a museum today, consisting of the main church which is still in use, the old pharmacy, various cells and rooms of the prior and the monks, the former library, dining room, garden, as well as the rooms (cells No. 2 and No. 4) where the Polish compose…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Heavily ornamented in the Churrigueresque style. The tabernacle and elaborate decorations of the Sagrario were executed in polychrome marble, jasper and porphyry. Hurtado Izquierdo began his career making retables.

    When Hurtado Izquierdo took over direction of the Sagrario of the Cartuja (1702-1720), work had already started on the walls and the base of the tabernacle. He added two lateral chapels at a lower level to strengthen the fabric, and he introduced oculi near the floor to allow a vi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    When Hurtado Izquierdo took over direction of the Sagrario of the Cartuja (1702-1720), work had already started on the walls and the base of the tabernacle. He added two lateral chapels at a lower level to strengthen the fabric, and he introduced oculi near the floor to allow a view of the Sacrament from them. The tabernacle and elaborate decorations of the Sagrario were executed in polychrome marble, jasper and porphyry. The sacristy was built between 1727 and 1764 by Luis de Arévalo and F. …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Both the tombs (begun 1489) and the magnificent high altar retable (retablo) were the work of Gil de Siloé, the father of Diego de Siloé. The Gothic choir stalls are the work of Martín Sánchez.

    Around 1440 Bishop Alonso de Cartagena (reigned 1415-1456) brought Juan de Colonia to Burgos. He worked at the cathedral and in 1454 began the church of the Carthusian monastery of Miraflores, which lies 3 km east of Burgos. The church, with a single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted aps…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Around 1440 Bishop Alonso de Cartagena (reigned 1415-1456) brought Juan de Colonia to Burgos. He worked at the cathedral and in 1454 began the church of the Carthusian monastery of Miraflores, which lies 3 km east of Burgos. The church, with a single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted apse, was completed by his son Simón and consecrated in 1496. It contains the alabaster tombs of King John II of Castile (reigned 1406-1454), his wife Isabella of Portugal and their son Alfonso (die…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01