Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An ancient altar in the mid of the nave covers the place of the saint’s martyrdom. The apse mosaics date from 6th century. Beneath a large cross, St. Apollinaris stands with his arms raised in prayer in the center of an idealized landscape, with six lambs on either side.

    Bishop Ursicinus (reigned 534-536) founded this church at Classis, about 5 km south of Ravenna; it was paid for by a local banker, Julianus Argentarius, and consecrated in 549 by Bishop Maximian. It is a spacious, three-…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    To the left is a procession of the 22 Virgins, lead by the Three Magi, moving from the city of Classe towards the group of the Madonna and Child surrounded by four angels. These are Byzantine period mosaics. Ships in port and the city walls of Classe are depicted.

    Originally built as Theodoric’s palace church and dedicated to the Saviour, it was rededicated to St Martin of Tours during the episcopate of Agnellus (556-569) and finally to St Apollinaris in the 9th century, probably after t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    To the left is a procession of the 22 Virgins, lead by the Three Magi, moving from the city of Classe towards the group of the Madonna and Child surrounded by four angels. These are Byzantine period mosaics.

    Originally built as Theodoric’s palace church and dedicated to the Saviour, it was rededicated to St Martin of Tours during the episcopate of Agnellus (556-569) and finally to St Apollinaris in the 9th century, probably after the saint’s relics were translated there in 856. It is…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The procession of 26 male martyrs leaves from Theodoric’s palace. Originally figures were standing in the arcade, presumably members of Theodoric’s court. Because this king was Arian, these mosaics were altered in the Byzantine period, and the figures covered with curtains.

    Originally built as Theodoric’s palace church and dedicated to the Saviour, it was rededicated to St Martin of Tours during the episcopate of Agnellus (556-569) and finally to St Apollinaris in the 9th century…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The interior decoration includes acanthus leaf capitals, presumably imported from Constantinople (now Istanbul). A paneled ceiling was added above the nave in 1611.

    Originally built as Theodoric’s palace church and dedicated to the Saviour, it was rededicated to St Martin of Tours during the episcopate of Agnellus (556-569) and finally to St Apollinaris in the 9th century, probably after the saint’s relics were translated there in 856. It is a standard western basilica with a nave an…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public