Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Mosaics and rose window are attributed to Orcagna, ca. 1359. The facade mosaics, put on from the second half of the 14th century, rapidly deteriorated and were extensively restored from the 17th century.

    A document of 1290 states that the new building should be modelled on S Maria Maggiore in Rome. This apparently influenced the early rectangular plan as well as, for example, the original semicircular apse, columnar piers in the nave and the attached half columns used on the exterior flanks….

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the band below Christ Pantokrator are saints. The Virgin Mary is in center flanked by two archangels.

    [Cloister is now a State Art Institute for mosaic work.] It was formerly a Benedictine monastery. The foundation of the monastic house of S Maria Nuova by King William II of Sicily marked the climax of Norman ecclesiastical and artistic patronage on the island. The site chosen was on a hill overlooking Palermo. In 1176 one hundred Cluniac monks, under the first abbot, Theobald (reigned 11…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The dominating feature of the building is the main apse, framed by the receding sequence of arches in the chancel. The apses and presbyteries are spanned by pointed barrel vaults; other parts are covered by a timber roof. The large expanses of wall surface seem to have been designed with the mosaic decoration in mind.

    [Cloister is now a State Art Institute for mosaic work.] It was formerly a Benedictine monastery. The foundation of the monastic house of S Maria Nuova by King William II of Si…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Inside, the nave appears unusually wide, with large pointed arcades supported by antique columns and capitals opening on to the aisles.

    [Cloister is now a State Art Institute for mosaic work.] It was formerly a Benedictine monastery. The foundation of the monastic house of S Maria Nuova by King William II of Sicily marked the climax of Norman ecclesiastical and artistic patronage on the island. The site chosen was on a hill overlooking Palermo. In 1176 one hundred Cluniac monks, under the fi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The rich mosaics feature Christ Pantokrator and tiers of royal figures and bishops. The Byzantine mosaic decoration was completed before 1170.

    The church, dedicated to the Saviour and SS Peter and Paul, was founded by Roger II in 1129 in fulfilment of a vow. An inscription once set in the wall behind the main altar recorded that the church was completed between 1131 and 1148. The building was consecrated on 10 April 1267. The discrepancies in height between the nave and choir and the ambiguo…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public