Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Salón de los Embajadores (Hall of the Ambassadors) is the largest in the Alhambra and occupies all the Torre de Comares. It is a square room, the sides being 12 m (37 ft) in length, while the centre of the dome is 23 m (75 ft) high. This was the grand reception room, and the throne of the sultan was placed opposite the entrance. It was in this setting that Christopher Columbus received Isabel and Ferdinand’s support to sail to the New World. The tilework is extensive.

    The palaces of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to survive from the Nasrid period (1232–1492). The walled Alhambra city which sits on a steep hill, comprised the Alcazaba (alqaṣaba: ‘fortress’), palaces, mansions, two mosques, baths (ḥammams), an industrial zone with tanneries, a mint, kilns, workshops, and some adjacent royal estates such as the Generalife. The Generalife was built on ascending terraces. The sovereign reached the Generalife&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Dar al-Imara (913-914), the original nucleus of the Alcázar, was built over the old basilica by the Umayyad ruler Abd al-Rahman III (reg 912-961) and was enlarged in the 11th century by a series of fortified walls extending towards the west, which resulted in a new palace complex called Alcázar al-Mubarak, or El Bendito. After the Reconquista the Alcázar became the favourite residence of the monarchs of Castile. Peter the Cruel (reigned 1350-1369) substantially rebuilt (1364-1366) the Alc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built by the Islamic Hafsid rulers of Tunis who were one of four regional powers to emerge in the Maghrib after the collapse of the Almohad empire in 1212. Hafsid culture is a meeting of east and west: the many Spanish refugees in the region brought their artistic traditions with them and the Hasfids also maintained close ties with the Mamluks of Egypt. The palace was later enlarged by the Ottoman beys of Tunis. It stands in a park in the northern suburbs; it now houses the Archaeological Mus…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Shows added Islamic calligraphy from mosque period

    Hagia Sophia is a former patriarchal basilica, later a mosque, now a museum, in Istanbul, Turkey. Famous in particular for its massive dome, it is considered the epitome of Byzantine architecture. It was the largest cathedral ever built in the world for nearly a thousand years, until the completion of the Medieval Seville Cathedral in 1520. The current building was originally constructed as a church between 532 and 537 AD on the orders of th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    S Francesco was built 1230-1298 in a Romanesque-Gothic transitional style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [Almost totally rebuilt after a fire in 1823.] In addition to the standard basilicas, several major buildings were erected or decorated in Rome in the 5th century that exhibit a classicizing style and have thus been identified as part of a renaissance of Classical Roman architecture launched by Pope Sixtus III (reigned 432-440): these include S Paolo fuori le mura as decorated under Pope Leo I (reigned 440-461). The cloister dates from ca. 1205-1241. The Cosmati (traditional name for the marb…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The interior decoration includes acanthus leaf capitals, presumably imported from Constantinople (now Istanbul). A paneled ceiling was added above the nave in 1611.

    Originally built as Theodoric’s palace church and dedicated to the Saviour, it was rededicated to St Martin of Tours during the episcopate of Agnellus (556-569) and finally to St Apollinaris in the 9th century, probably after the saint’s relics were translated there in 856. It is a standard western basilica with a nave an…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The land side facade faces the Piazzetta of San Marco. Visible in the center is the column with the winged lion, symbol of St. Mark, and Venice.

    “The Doge’s Palace, Venice, has façades which date from 1309-1424, designed by Giovanni and Bartolomeo Buon. [Bono] The palace, started in the ninth century, several times rebuilt, and completed in the Renaissance period, forms part of that great scheme of town-planning which was carried out through successive centuries. The façades, with a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The balcony at the centre of this facade was constructed at the beginning of the sixteenth century in imitation of that on the waterside facade. Shows central window detail topped by statue of Justitia-Venetia. The winged lion is in the panel below.

    “The Doge’s Palace, Venice, has façades which date from 1309-1424, designed by Giovanni and Bartolomeo Buon. [Bono] The palace, started in the ninth century, several times rebuilt, and completed in the Renaissance period, forms part of t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Most famous for its three sets of bronze doors, the Baptistery is the oldest extant building in Florence. Excavations have revealed various floor-levels below the Baptistery’s inlaid marble base, and these fragments suggest that there was a building of some size on the site, possibly as early as the Roman period. The date of the present building is controversial, but it is now thought likely that it is a 6th- or 7th-century structure, although it has also been attributed to the 11th centu…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The neo-Gothic marble façade, by Nicolò Matas, dates from 1857-1863.

    [The Basilica is the largest Franciscan church in the world. It is the burial place of some of the most illustrious Italians, such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Foscolo, Gentile, Rossini, and Marconi, thus it is known also as the Temple of the Italian Glories (Tempio dell'Itale Glorie). Additions made in 1560 by Giorgio Vasari; facade dates to 1857-1863.] It is an aisled basilica with a timber roof, transepts, …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public