Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Type of Work: Doctoral Dissertation OR Master's Thesis OR Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Salón de los Embajadores (Hall of the Ambassadors) is the largest in the Alhambra and occupies all the Torre de Comares. It is a square room, the sides being 12 m (37 ft) in length, while the centre of the dome is 23 m (75 ft) high. This was the grand reception room, and the throne of the sultan was placed opposite the entrance. It was in this setting that Christopher Columbus received Isabel and Ferdinand’s support to sail to the New World. The tilework is extensive.

    The palaces of …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to survive from the Nasrid period (1232–1492). The walled Alhambra city which sits on a steep hill, comprised the Alcazaba (alqaṣaba: ‘fortress’), palaces, mansions, two mosques, baths (ḥammams), an industrial zone with tanneries, a mint, kilns, workshops, and some adjacent royal estates such as the Generalife. The Generalife was built on ascending terraces. The sovereign reached the Generalife&#…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Dar al-Imara (913-914), the original nucleus of the Alcázar, was built over the old basilica by the Umayyad ruler Abd al-Rahman III (reg 912-961) and was enlarged in the 11th century by a series of fortified walls extending towards the west, which resulted in a new palace complex called Alcázar al-Mubarak, or El Bendito. After the Reconquista the Alcázar became the favourite residence of the monarchs of Castile. Peter the Cruel (reigned 1350-1369) substantially rebuilt (1364-1366) the Alc…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Built by the Islamic Hafsid rulers of Tunis who were one of four regional powers to emerge in the Maghrib after the collapse of the Almohad empire in 1212. Hafsid culture is a meeting of east and west: the many Spanish refugees in the region brought their artistic traditions with them and the Hasfids also maintained close ties with the Mamluks of Egypt. The palace was later enlarged by the Ottoman beys of Tunis. It stands in a park in the northern suburbs; it now houses the Archaeological Mus…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Shows added Islamic calligraphy from mosque period

    Hagia Sophia is a former patriarchal basilica, later a mosque, now a museum, in Istanbul, Turkey. Famous in particular for its massive dome, it is considered the epitome of Byzantine architecture. It was the largest cathedral ever built in the world for nearly a thousand years, until the completion of the Medieval Seville Cathedral in 1520. The current building was originally constructed as a church between 532 and 537 AD on the orders of th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    S Francesco was built 1230-1298 in a Romanesque-Gothic transitional style.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Portrayed as he gives a blessing and preaches, while holding the keys to the kingdom of heaven. The foot is worn thin from centuries of being touched by pilgrims. The backdrop is a mosaic.

    The bronze figure of St. Peter in St. Peter’s, Rome, was based on the antique statue of a philosopher (now Rome, Grotte Vaticane), remodelled to represent Peter. The long-disputed dating of the bronze figure to the late 13th century, first advocated by Wickhoff (1890), was confirmed by an analysis of t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Beside the church is the remains of a campanile and next to the church, a monastery (known as the Bishop’s Palace).

    Buildings in Tuscany were conservative and followed Early Christian models. An important feature of Florentine Romanesque is exemplified by the striking use of coloured marble inlays to form lively geometrical patterns seen also at S Miniato al Monte, with an interior articulated by the rhythmic alternating system of columnar and quadrilobed piers, the latter rising to diap…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The apse mosaic bears the date 1297; it depicts Christ in benediction between the Virgin, St. Miniatus, the symbols of the Evangelists and the kneeling donor.

    Buildings in Tuscany were conservative and followed Early Christian models. An important feature of Florentine Romanesque is exemplified by the striking use of coloured marble inlays to form lively geometrical patterns seen also at S Miniato al Monte, with an interior articulated by the rhythmic alternating system of columnar and quadr…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Buildings in Tuscany were conservative and followed Early Christian models. An important feature of Florentine Romanesque is exemplified by the striking use of coloured marble inlays to form lively geometrical patterns seen also at S Miniato al Monte, with an interior articulated by the rhythmic alternating system of columnar and quadrilobed piers, the latter rising to diaphragm arches.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The centre of the nave is dominated by the beautiful freestanding Cappella del Crocefisso (Chapel of the Crucifix), designed by Michelozzo in 1448. It originally housed the miraculous crucifix now in Santa Trìnita and is decorated with panels long thought to be painted by Agnolo Gaddi. The terracotta decoration of the vault is by Luca della Robbia.

    Buildings in Tuscany were conservative and followed Early Christian models. An important feature of Florentine Romanesque is exemplified by the s…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Mosaics and rose window are attributed to Orcagna, ca. 1359. The facade mosaics, put on from the second half of the 14th century, rapidly deteriorated and were extensively restored from the 17th century.

    A document of 1290 states that the new building should be modelled on S Maria Maggiore in Rome. This apparently influenced the early rectangular plan as well as, for example, the original semicircular apse, columnar piers in the nave and the attached half columns used on the exterior flanks….

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public