Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    View ca. 1910-1914.

    Studies by the excavator, Forlati, indicate that S Marco was a centrally planned, Greek-cross building from the start. The present building was begun ca. 1063 under Doge Domenico Contarini (reg 1043-1071), who wished it to reflect the increased power and wealth of Venice. He preserved the earlier foundations and reused some of the outside walls and brickwork of the earlier building. It was consecrated in 1094. S Marco is built of brick with a marble facing. It is centrall…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    An ancient altar in the mid of the nave covers the place of the saint’s martyrdom. The apse mosaics date from 6th century. Beneath a large cross, St. Apollinaris stands with his arms raised in prayer in the center of an idealized landscape, with six lambs on either side.

    Bishop Ursicinus (reigned 534-536) founded this church at Classis, about 5 km south of Ravenna; it was paid for by a local banker, Julianus Argentarius, and consecrated in 549 by Bishop Maximian. It is a spacious, three-…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In the band below Christ Pantokrator are saints. The Virgin Mary is in center flanked by two archangels.

    [Cloister is now a State Art Institute for mosaic work.] It was formerly a Benedictine monastery. The foundation of the monastic house of S Maria Nuova by King William II of Sicily marked the climax of Norman ecclesiastical and artistic patronage on the island. The site chosen was on a hill overlooking Palermo. In 1176 one hundred Cluniac monks, under the first abbot, Theobald (reigned 11…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The dominating feature of the building is the main apse, framed by the receding sequence of arches in the chancel. The apses and presbyteries are spanned by pointed barrel vaults; other parts are covered by a timber roof. The large expanses of wall surface seem to have been designed with the mosaic decoration in mind.

    [Cloister is now a State Art Institute for mosaic work.] It was formerly a Benedictine monastery. The foundation of the monastic house of S Maria Nuova by King William II of Si…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    To the left is a procession of the 22 Virgins, lead by the Three Magi, moving from the city of Classe towards the group of the Madonna and Child surrounded by four angels. These are Byzantine period mosaics. Ships in port and the city walls of Classe are depicted.

    Originally built as Theodoric’s palace church and dedicated to the Saviour, it was rededicated to St Martin of Tours during the episcopate of Agnellus (556-569) and finally to St Apollinaris in the 9th century, probably after t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Inside, the nave appears unusually wide, with large pointed arcades supported by antique columns and capitals opening on to the aisles.

    [Cloister is now a State Art Institute for mosaic work.] It was formerly a Benedictine monastery. The foundation of the monastic house of S Maria Nuova by King William II of Sicily marked the climax of Norman ecclesiastical and artistic patronage on the island. The site chosen was on a hill overlooking Palermo. In 1176 one hundred Cluniac monks, under the fi…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    [Almost totally rebuilt after a fire in 1823.] In addition to the standard basilicas, several major buildings were erected or decorated in Rome in the 5th century that exhibit a classicizing style and have thus been identified as part of a renaissance of Classical Roman architecture launched by Pope Sixtus III (reigned 432-440): these include S Paolo fuori le mura as decorated under Pope Leo I (reigned 440-461). The cloister dates from ca. 1205-1241. The Cosmati (traditional name for the marb…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    To the left is a procession of the 22 Virgins, lead by the Three Magi, moving from the city of Classe towards the group of the Madonna and Child surrounded by four angels. These are Byzantine period mosaics.

    Originally built as Theodoric’s palace church and dedicated to the Saviour, it was rededicated to St Martin of Tours during the episcopate of Agnellus (556-569) and finally to St Apollinaris in the 9th century, probably after the saint’s relics were translated there in 856. It is…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The procession of 26 male martyrs leaves from Theodoric’s palace. Originally figures were standing in the arcade, presumably members of Theodoric’s court. Because this king was Arian, these mosaics were altered in the Byzantine period, and the figures covered with curtains.

    Originally built as Theodoric’s palace church and dedicated to the Saviour, it was rededicated to St Martin of Tours during the episcopate of Agnellus (556-569) and finally to St Apollinaris in the 9th century…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The interior decoration includes acanthus leaf capitals, presumably imported from Constantinople (now Istanbul). A paneled ceiling was added above the nave in 1611.

    Originally built as Theodoric’s palace church and dedicated to the Saviour, it was rededicated to St Martin of Tours during the episcopate of Agnellus (556-569) and finally to St Apollinaris in the 9th century, probably after the saint’s relics were translated there in 856. It is a standard western basilica with a nave an…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The land side facade faces the Piazzetta of San Marco. Visible in the center is the column with the winged lion, symbol of St. Mark, and Venice.

    “The Doge’s Palace, Venice, has façades which date from 1309-1424, designed by Giovanni and Bartolomeo Buon. [Bono] The palace, started in the ninth century, several times rebuilt, and completed in the Renaissance period, forms part of that great scheme of town-planning which was carried out through successive centuries. The façades, with a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The sarcophagus features a fishscale tiling motif on the lid and lamb, birds and crosses on the side.

    The church was begun by Bishop Ecclesius (reigned 521-532) and financed by Julianus Argentarius, who spent 26,000 solidi on its construction; work progressed under bishops Ursicinus (reigned 534-536) and Victor (reigned 538-545), and the church was consecrated in 547 by Bishop Maximian. The basic design is Byzantine in conception and comprises a centrally planned octagon with seven arched ni…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public