Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Spain during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include cathedrals, churches, monasteries, mosques, palaces, public buildings, and tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Ruins

Cathedrals

Convents

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Arenas

Monuments

Basilicas

Architecture

City halls

Spatial Coverage

Spain

Guarrazar

Seville

Granada

Burgos

Barcelona

Segovia

Ávila

Córdoba

Madrid

Salamanca

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Muhammad V built the Riyaḍ Palace (known since the Reconquest as the Palacio de los Leones) which contains the cruciform Patio de los Leones at the heart of the palace, which has a central fountain with twelve stylized standing lions, carved in white marble to fit exactly the proportions of the patio; the lions support a polygonal basin inscribed with a poem by Ibn Zamrak, a pupil of Ibn al-Khaṭib.

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to s…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Muhammad V built the Riyaḍ Palace (known since the Reconquest as the Palacio de los Leones) which contains the cruciform Patio de los Leones at the heart of the palace, which has a central fountain with twelve stylized standing lions, carved in white marble to fit exactly the proportions of the patio; the lions support a polygonal basin inscribed with a poem by Ibn Zamrak, a pupil of Ibn al-Khaṭib.

    The palaces of the Alhambra and Generalife form the most important architectural ensemble to s…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    According to tradition, the parish church of Sant Miquel occupies the site of a mosque where the first Mass was celebrated following the reconquest of 1229. That building was consecrated as a church until it made way for a Gothic church built in the late fourteenth century. The new construction followed the type of the time with with a single-cell nave and chapels between the buttresses. Only the facade and square bell tower topped by a pyramidal top remain unaltered. The facade has sculpture…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Only a limited number of works by Oms y Canet have survived, but they include the monument to Queen Isabella the Catholic (1883; Madrid, La Castellana Avenue). As a result of the intervention of José Maria Casado del Alisal, a former director of the Academia Española de Bellas Artes in Rome, and Francisco Pradilla, this work, which was designed during Oms y Canet’s period in Rome, was cast in bronze and exhibited publicly. The Queen, carrying a cross, appears on horseback; at her side are…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    José Grases Riera (1850-1919) was a Catalan architect, who designed the base of the 1901 monument to Antonio Cánovas del Castillo in the Plaza de la Marina Española, with sculptor Joaquín Bilbao [Martinez]. Antonio Cánovas del Castillo (February 8, 1828-August 8, 1897) was a Spanish politician and historian known principally for his role in supporting the restoration of the Bourbon monarchy to the Spanish throne and for his death at the hands of an anarchist assassin, Michele Angiolillo.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Plaza de la Catedral houses both the Cathedral and the Baroque church of Santiago. It was the former headquarters of the College of the Society of Jesus; only the church remains, rebuilt after destruction in 1596. It has Ionic pilasters which contrast against the white oyster shell stucco. It was designed by Alonso Romero, a Jesuit brother.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01