Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This is the highest Gothic nave in England at 101 feet (31 meters).

    Rebuilt by King Edward the Confessor probably in the late 1040s, when he apparently also began the palace. The former Benedictine, now collegiate, church contains an immense quantity of monumental sculpture from the Middle Ages onwards, as well as important medieval paintings. The anonymous life of St Edward the Confessor, written 1065-1067, gives a long description of the parts of the abbey that existed when Edward died in …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rebuilt by King Edward the Confessor probably in the late 1040s, when he apparently also began the palace. The former Benedictine, now collegiate, church contains an immense quantity of monumental sculpture from the Middle Ages onwards, as well as important medieval paintings. The anonymous life of St Edward the Confessor, written 1065-1067, gives a long description of the parts of the abbey that existed when Edward died in January 1066. The Abbey became the coronation site of Norman kings, b…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    There are four steep stairways, one on each side, leading to three terraces, with four smaller prang at the corners and pavilions at the base of the stairways. The form is held to be a representation of the five peaks of the sacred mountain, Mt Meru, centre of the universe and abode of the gods. The ashes of King Rama II are buried in the base of the Buddha statue.

    A Buddhist temple (wat) in the Bangkok Yai district, on the Thonburi west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The full name of the te…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cloister was built under the architect Fernão de Évora between 1448 and 1477. The arcade screens, in the Manueline style, were added later by Mateus Fernandes. Two different patterns alternate, one with the cross of the Order of Christ, the other with armillaries. The colonnettes, supporting these intricate arcade screens, are decorated with spiral motives, armillaries, lotus blossoms, briar branches, pearls and shells and exotic vegetation.

    Former Dominican priory, dedicated to S Maria …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cloister was built under the architect Fernão de Évora between 1448 and 1477. The arcade screens, in the Manueline style, were added later by Mateus Fernandes. Two different patterns alternate, one with the cross of the Order of Christ, the other with armillaries.

    Former Dominican priory, dedicated to S Maria da Vitória, about 10 km south of Leiria, Portugal. Founded by John I (João I, reigned 1385-1433), the first king of the Aviz dynasty, to celebrate the Battle of Aljubarrota (1385), …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted apse.

    Around 1440 Bishop Alonso de Cartagena (reigned 1415-1456) brought Juan de Colonia to Burgos. He worked at the cathedral and in 1454 began the church of the Carthusian monastery of Miraflores, which lies 3 km east of Burgos. The church, with a single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted apse, was completed by his son Simón and consecrated in 1496. It contains the alabaster tombs of King John II of Castile (reigned 1406…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    S Gil is noted for its octagonal, star-vaulted chapel of the Nativity of Mary by Felipe Vigarny and Diego de Siloé (both sculptors and architects). In 1486 the chancel was lengthened and rebuilt, which was followed by the opening of chapels of several wealthy families. The Chapel of the Nativity of Mary contains an altarpiece (retablo), late Gothic Plateresque in style, with twelve narrative scenes. The altar is flanked by the tombs of the founders, John and Ines de Castro Lerma, both decease…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Just inside the entrance is the tomb of Guglielmo Cardinal Fieschi, died 1256, but entombed in an ancient sarcophagus, incidentally decorated with a relief depicting a pagan marriage feast.

    The basilica of San Lorenzo fuori le Mura is one of the most important basilica churches and one of the Seven Pilgrim Churches of Rome. The basilica is the shrine tomb of the church’s namesake, Saint Lawrence, one of the first seven deacons of Rome martyred in 258. Pope Pius IX, awaiting canonization …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The short end of the sarcophagus features peacocks (an Early Christian symbol of Eternal Life) with a cross in the middle. The long side features lambs facing the cross with the Tree of Life motif (palms) behind them. Other birds decorate the lid.

    Originally built as Theodoric’s palace church and dedicated to the Saviour, it was rededicated to St Martin of Tours during the episcopate of Agnellus (556-569) and finally to St Apollinaris in the 9th century, probably after the saint’s re…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cloister houses a collection of sarcophaguses and about 2000 fragments of tomb stones. Some of these contain inscriptions engraved in Greek, Latin and Hebrew, all taken from the necropolis discovered during the various works carried out near the Basilica.

    [Almost totally rebuilt after a fire in 1823.] In addition to the standard basilicas, several major buildings were erected or decorated in Rome in the 5th century that exhibit a classicizing style and have thus been identified as part o…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rome, Italy - Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere

    It is possibly the first church in Rome where Mass was celebrated openly. It was probably built by Pope Julius I (337-352), although tradition claims that it may have been built before 313, perhaps as early as soon after Pope Calixtus’ death in 222. It was rebuilt under Pope Innocent II (1138-1148), in the first years of his pontificate. He kept the basilical plan, at a time when the Gothic style was gaining popularity in Northern Europ…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Saint’s tomb has been called the “Ark” from the very beginning. The Saint’s tomb is in the altar in this chapel, at head height. The current decoration was completed in the sixteenth century and has been attributed to Tullio Lombardo.

    The cult of St Anthony, famous as a preacher in his lifetime, grew enormously following his canonization in 1232. A project for a new structure dedicated to the saint is documented in 1238. In 1263 the body of St Anthony was translated int…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public