Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Italy during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include arenas, basilicas, cathedrals, chapels, churches, fountains, gardens, loggias, public buildings, ruins, sculpture, tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Fountains

Temples

City halls

Architecture

Monuments

Statues

Cathedral

Monasteries

Spatial Coverage

Siena

Agrigento

Florence

Pisa

Italy

Venice

Palermo

Ravenna

Vicenza

Padua

Tivoli

Pompeii

Vatican City

Perugia

Pistoia

Rome

Brescia

Mantua

Verona

Assisi

Naples

Bologna

Milan

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tomb of Philippe II of Alençon. He died in Rome in 1397 and was buried in the tomb he had built for himself in Santa Maria in Trastevere. The tomb is attributed to the Florentine Giovanni d'Ambrogio. The monument was later dismantled, and its original appearance as a ciborium with altar was lost when it was converted into a wall monument. Surviving from the elaborate tomb are the recumbent figure, the reliefs of the Dormition and Assumption of the Virgin, and a series of small statuet…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The monument is the most ancient papal monument in St. Peter’s Basilica, Rome. It is the work of Antonio and Piero Pollaiuolo, completed in 1498. The monument is made up of two parts: an effigy of Innocent VIII lying on his tomb and an image of him seated on a throne. In the latter, the pope holds the metal tip of the lance that pierced the side of Christ, one of the many holy relics that the basilica houses.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A cylindrical building in Parco Adriano, Rome, Italy. It was initially commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family. The building was later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and is now a museum.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tomb of Giangaleazzo Visconti (d 1402) was made in the 1490s by Gian Cristoforo, Briosco and others. Its iconography is surprisingly secular, emphasizing the deeds of Giangaleazzo but lacking the New Testament reliefs that characterized contemporary Lombard tombs.

    Giangaleazzo Visconti, 1st Duke of Milan, founded the Carthusian monastery, the Certosa, in fulfilment of his wife’s will of 1390. Work progressed slowly after Giangaleazzo’s death in 1402, but Francesco Sforza revitali…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rome, Italy - Basilica di San Pietro - Pius VII’s Tomb

    Bramante was hired by Julius II to begin a radical reconstruction, to replace Old Saint Peter’s, and intensive planning by Bramante, Giuliano da Sangallo and Fra Giovanni Giocondo preceded the laying of the foundation stone on 18 April 1506. Since Bramante’s first designs of 1506, half a dozen architects had worked under five successive popes, all bringing their own revisions with them. In the 18 remaining years of his life M…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Ponzio was responsible for construction of the Pauline Chapel (1605-1611) in S Maria Maggiore. Clement’s tomb was executed 1611-1613. Figure of Clement VIII was carved by Silla da Viggiu and the cornice figures by Pietro Bernini; features “The Peace of Henry IV and Philip III” by Ippolito Buzi and “The Coronation of Clement VIII” by Bernini, “The Canonization of St. Giacinto and St. Raimondo” by Giovanni Antonio Valsolde, “The Occupation of Ferrara”…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The funeral monument of Countess Matilda di Canossa, Pope Gregory VII’s great champion against the Emperor Henry VI. The monument was conceived by Bernini who began it in 1633, commissioned by Urban VIII. The head of Matilda is by Andrea Bolgi (1605-1656), the rest of the figure by Luigi Bernini. The central bas-relief which shows Henry IV kneeling before Gregory VII on 28 January 1077 after waiting or three days and three nights to be received, is the work of Stefano Speranza. The two ch…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The two bronze papal tombs (Sixtus IV and Innocent VIII) executed between 1484 and 1496 by the Pollaiuolo workshop for St Peter’s, Rome, were the grandest of the 15th century, and the only tombs to be transferred into the new basilica when Old St Peter’s was demolished in 1506. Around the recumbent effigy of Pope Sixtus IV, whose face was evidently modeled on a death mask, reliefs of seven Virtues decorate the top of the tomb. This rests on a base with steeply sloping sides, which are…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Michelangelo carved the Moses circa 1515. Dimensions of Moses: 92.5 in. height; width at base at front 37.5 in. Depicting Moses with ‘horns’ was a convention of Christian iconography, and probably due to a mistranslation of a biblical description of rays of light radiating from his head.

    Sandro Fancelli, Raffaello da Montelupo, Tommaso di Pietro Boscoli, Jacopo del Duca helped complete the sculpture. The arrangement seen today in San Pietro is a fragment of the original plan. The fou…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Sandro Fancelli, Raffaello da Montelupo, Tommaso di Pietro Boscoli, Jacopo del Duca helped complete the sculpture. The arrangement seen today in San Pietro is a fragment of the original plan. The four Slaves are now in the Accademia, Florence and two Captive figures are in the Louvre, Paris. “The seemingly perfect match between an ambitious pontiff and an ambitious artist was disastrous for Michelangelo’s career in one respect: until 1545 his life was dominated by repeated failures t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Flanked by the figures of “Benignity,” by Lazzaro Morelli, and of “Clemency,” by Giuseppe Mazzuoli.

    In the floor in front of the monument to Pope Clement X, under a simple tombstone, lie the remains of Pope Sixtus IV and Pope Julius II. For the last 25 years of Bernini’s life, Mattia de Rossi was his principal assistant and frequently served as his clerk of works. With a pyramid-shaped design, the monument is noted for its imaginative multicolored effect, using precio…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Bologne, Italy - Piazza Galileo

    The square in front of the Basilica of San Domenico is paved with pebbles, as it was in medieval times. It was originally the cemetery. The column closest to the church facade is a brickwork column with the bronze statue of St. Dominic (1627) and on the other side of the square (facing Via Giuseppe Garibaldi) is a column in marble, bricks and copper of the Madonna of the Rosary, after a design by Guido Reni (1632), commemorating the end of the plague in the ci…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01