Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in Spain during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include cathedrals, churches, monasteries, mosques, palaces, public buildings, and tombs. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Ruins

Cathedrals

Convents

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Arenas

Monuments

Basilicas

Architecture

City halls

Spatial Coverage

Spain

Guarrazar

Seville

Granada

Burgos

Barcelona

Segovia

Ávila

Córdoba

Madrid

Salamanca

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Spain remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The place of burial for the kings of Spain. It is an octagonal Baroque mausoleum made of marble where all of the Spanish monarchs since Charles I have been buried, with the exception of Philip V, Ferdinand of Savoy, and Amadeus of Savoy. The sarcaphagi are bronze and marble.

    A complex which contains a monastery, palace, school, mausoleum and museum; Philip II built the monastery 1563-1584 as a memorial to victory over French in 1557. It became his main residence and was later was the dynasti…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Pulpit on the right side.

    This monastery was constructed in 1482 with funding from los Reyes Católicos, Fernando and Isabel, and is the burial place of their only son, Don Juan, who died here aged 19. The prince’s tomb is modelled from alabaster carved by the Florentine Domenico di Sandro Fancelli. The headquarters of the royals’ adviser and confessor, the notorious Friar Tomás Torquemada, were also based here. Besides the church (with eight side chapels with ribbed vaults), it is a …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    View shows tombs (1514-1517) of Ferdinand II and Isabella by Domenico Fancelli, and of Joanna and Philip I (from 1519) by Bartolomé Ordóñez. Some of Isabella’s art collection is visible.

    The Capilla Real was the mausoleum of the Spanish royal family, including the Catholic Kings, until the founding of the Escorial by Philip II. The influence of Cisneros is evident in the severe plainness of the building, although the splendid vaults and portals are among the finest in the Hispano-Flemish…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Juan de Colonia was probably brought to Spain (Castile) by Alonso de Cartagena, Bishop of Burgos, to design his sepulchral chapel, the Capilla de la Visitación (1440-1442) off the south transept in the cathedral. They may have met when Bishop Alonso attended the Council of Basle.

    The foundation stone of the present building, dedicated to the Virgin, was laid by Bishop Maurice of Burgos (reigned 1217-1238) on 20 July 1221. The cathedral is indebted to the design of Bourges Cathedral. In the F…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    By the time the cloister was conceived a distinctively Castilian Gothic style had appeared, half-Rayonnant, concerned with the display of sculpture.

    The foundation stone of the present building, dedicated to the Virgin, was laid by Bishop Maurice of Burgos (reigned 1217-1238) on 20 July 1221. The cathedral is indebted to the design of Bourges Cathedral. In the French High Gothic context the cathedral’s plan and elevation are old-fashioned. Since Burgos was on the pilgrimage route to Gali…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted apse.

    Around 1440 Bishop Alonso de Cartagena (reigned 1415-1456) brought Juan de Colonia to Burgos. He worked at the cathedral and in 1454 began the church of the Carthusian monastery of Miraflores, which lies 3 km east of Burgos. The church, with a single-cell, five-bay nave and polygonal, star-vaulted apse, was completed by his son Simón and consecrated in 1496. It contains the alabaster tombs of King John II of Castile (reigned 1406…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    S Gil is noted for its octagonal, star-vaulted chapel of the Nativity of Mary by Felipe Vigarny and Diego de Siloé (both sculptors and architects). In 1486 the chancel was lengthened and rebuilt, which was followed by the opening of chapels of several wealthy families. The Chapel of the Nativity of Mary contains an altarpiece (retablo), late Gothic Plateresque in style, with twelve narrative scenes. The altar is flanked by the tombs of the founders, John and Ines de Castro Lerma, both decease…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01