Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tomb of Philippe II of Alençon. He died in Rome in 1397 and was buried in the tomb he had built for himself in Santa Maria in Trastevere. The tomb is attributed to the Florentine Giovanni d'Ambrogio. The monument was later dismantled, and its original appearance as a ciborium with altar was lost when it was converted into a wall monument. Surviving from the elaborate tomb are the recumbent figure, the reliefs of the Dormition and Assumption of the Virgin, and a series of small statuet…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Located in the crypt of the Pasteur Museum, Paris. The sarcophagus is made of green Swedish marble, and is surrounded by a mosaic floor depicting branches of oak and laurel. The crypt and its chapel were constructed under the principal building of the Institut Pasteur.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The monument is the most ancient papal monument in St. Peter’s Basilica, Rome. It is the work of Antonio and Piero Pollaiuolo, completed in 1498. The monument is made up of two parts: an effigy of Innocent VIII lying on his tomb and an image of him seated on a throne. In the latter, the pope holds the metal tip of the lance that pierced the side of Christ, one of the many holy relics that the basilica houses.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A cylindrical building in Parco Adriano, Rome, Italy. It was initially commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family. The building was later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and is now a museum.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Minh Mang Royal Tomb in Hue, Vietnam, is the final resting place of Emperor Minh Mang, who reigned from 1820 to 1840. Construction on his tomb began in the year of his reign, but it was still incomplete upon his death. The tomb was completed by is successor and son Thieu Tri during the years 1840 to 1843

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The original columns of dark Purbeck marble, seen here, were replaced with replicas after damage in WWII. There are 9 marble effigy tombs of medieval knights in the nave.

    The church building comprises two separate sections. The original nave section, called the Round Church, and an adjoining rectangular section, built approximately half a century later, called the Chancel. It was designed to recall the holiest place in the Crusaders’ world: the circular Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Je…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tomb of Thomas Beauchamp stands in front of the high altar; the tiny figures around its base give a fine depiction of Fourteenth century English fashion.

    Founded by Roger de Beaumont, 2nd Earl of Warwick in 1123. The only surviving part of the Norman church which de Beaumont had built is the crypt. Extensively rebuilt in the 14th century by a later Earl of Warwick, Thomas de Beauchamp (later pronounced Beecham) in the Perpendicular Gothic style. His descendants built what is officially c…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The monument with the cage arch is for Richard de Beauchamp, 13th Earl of Warwick, to the left against the wall is the tomb of Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester. The smaller effigy tomb on the right is Ambrose Dudley, 3rd Earl of Warwick.

    Founded by Roger de Beaumont, 2nd Earl of Warwick in 1123. The only surviving part of the Norman church which de Beaumont had built is the crypt. Extensively rebuilt in the 14th century by a later Earl of Warwick, Thomas de Beauchamp (later pronounced Be…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This is the highest Gothic nave in England at 101 feet (31 meters).

    Rebuilt by King Edward the Confessor probably in the late 1040s, when he apparently also began the palace. The former Benedictine, now collegiate, church contains an immense quantity of monumental sculpture from the Middle Ages onwards, as well as important medieval paintings. The anonymous life of St Edward the Confessor, written 1065-1067, gives a long description of the parts of the abbey that existed when Edward died in …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Rebuilt by King Edward the Confessor probably in the late 1040s, when he apparently also began the palace. The former Benedictine, now collegiate, church contains an immense quantity of monumental sculpture from the Middle Ages onwards, as well as important medieval paintings. The anonymous life of St Edward the Confessor, written 1065-1067, gives a long description of the parts of the abbey that existed when Edward died in January 1066. The Abbey became the coronation site of Norman kings, b…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    There are four steep stairways, one on each side, leading to three terraces, with four smaller prang at the corners and pavilions at the base of the stairways. The form is held to be a representation of the five peaks of the sacred mountain, Mt Meru, centre of the universe and abode of the gods. The ashes of King Rama II are buried in the base of the Buddha statue.

    A Buddhist temple (wat) in the Bangkok Yai district, on the Thonburi west bank of the Chao Phraya River. The full name of the te…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Unfinished Chapels form a separate octagonal structure tacked on the choir of the church (via a retrochoir) and only accessible from the outside.

    Former Dominican priory, dedicated to S Maria da Vitória, about 10 km south of Leiria, Portugal. Founded by John I (João I, reigned 1385-1433), the first king of the Aviz dynasty, to celebrate the Battle of Aljubarrota (1385), it is the most representative and important example of Late Gothic architecture in Portugal. The first architect, from …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01