Architectural Lantern Slides of Netherlands

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in the Netherlands during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include cathedrals, churches, marketplaces, public buildings, and windmills. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Some images include people and fashions of the time.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Architecture

Universities

Palaces

Mills

City halls

Churches

Cathedrals

Spatial Coverage

Amsterdam

Utrecht

The Hague

Netherlands

Rotterdam

Haarlem

Nijmegen

Delft

Leyden

Muiden

Dordrecht

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Netherlands remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A house, possibly of wood, in The Hague, Netherlands.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The historic town hall (Stadhuis) in Nijmegen, Netherlands. It was built between 1554 and 1555 under the direction of Herman van Herengrave in early renaissance style . The historic part of the town hall is actually a combination of a number of residential houses from the 14th century with a new front with a ship’s hall and a hall above it. The town hall houses a large number of historical and more modern works of art. Much was destroyed in World War II.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A Roman Catholic church, begun ca. 1820 in a location on the Singel Canal, formerly occupied by the West-Indisch Binnenhuis. It was Neoclassical in style with three aisles. Architect Theo Molkenboer added a transept in 1853. On December 31, 1933 the church was closed and sold to the Dutch Society of Life. The church was demolished in 1939. The Municipal University now occupies the site.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Part of a city plan formulated by Amsterdam physician Samuel Sarphati after he visited the Great Exhibition of 1851 in England. A “Palace of Industry” built for the Exhibition of Arts and Industry, Amsterdam, which opened in 1864. Modeled after the popular Crystal Palace in England, the building was called the “Crystal Palace at Amsterdam” in the Illustrated London News. The exterior was illustrated in 1861, the interior at the opening of the Exhibition was illustrated in …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The American Hotel on the Leidseplein is a hotel and café restaurant with an Jugendstil reading room. It was built in 1898-1902 by W. Kromhout and W.G. Jansen in the style of Hendrik Petrus Berlage. In 1927-1928 an expansion was realized from a design by the architect G.J. Rutgers in collaboration with K. Bakker. Both the expansion and the café are National Heritage sites.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Count Floris V built a stone castle at the mouth of the Vecht river in 1280. The castle was used to enforce a toll on the trade route. It was a relatively small castle, measuring 32 by 35 meters with brick walls well over 1.5 meters thick. A large moat surrounds the castle, accessed by a drawbridge. In 1370, the castle was rebuilt on the same spot based on the same plan, by Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria, who at that time was also the Count of Holland and Zeeland. In the 16th century P.C. Hooft (1…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1251 fire destroyed part of the 11th-century cathedral. Rebuilding started after 1288, but a plan had already been made in 1254. The choir is heavily influenced by French Rayonnant churches. About 1315 the transepts were reached, but not built. Between 1321 and 1381 a single tower 112 m high was erected to the west of the old Romanesque nave. The Gothic transepts and the nave were built during the 15th century and early 16th, but the nave collapsed during the storm of 1674 and was never re…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Visible to the right is an arched office bridge between the old and new buildings (HGB I, not visible and HGB II).

    Because of its central location, Utrecht is an important transportation hub. Utrecht is the center of the Dutch railroad network and the location of the head office of the Nederlandse Spoorwegen (Dutch Railways). This building is the second headquarters (now known as HGB II), built by Jacob F. Klinkhamer (later professor at the Delft Polytechnic), a student of Gugel, working in …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The building forms an X shape, topped with a central tower and cupola.

    The Academy Building is the headquarters of Utrecht University and is located in a corner of the cathedral square. The University of Utrecht was established (1636) from its origins in some outbuildings of the Dom, particularly the cloister and chapter house. This last room is connected to the Academy Building and today still serves as an auditorium. Intended as a gift for the 250th anniversary (1886), there was a protract…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Currently there is sculpture in the pediment; added in 1957 by sculptor Pieter d'Hont.

    The appearance was determined by the severe facade of Bentheim sandstone, built in neoclassical style, with a temple-style front of four Doric columns. The rear section facing Oudkerkhof / Short Minrebroederstraat was added in the same style, 1844-1847. The City Hall recently had a renovation and addition built by Enric Miralles (2000, the year of his death). [Dutch language Wikipedia]

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    This is a local courthouse (Paleis van Justitie) for Den Haag; not to be confused with the International Court of Justice at the Peace Palace (Vredespaleis). It sits on the Plein, south of the Mauritshuis. It appears to be a 19th century Renaissance Revival building, but it could be older. (It is not the Renaissance era City Hall).

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Trade was strongly stimulated by the foundation of the Verenigde Oostindische Compagnie (East India Company; 1602). A merchants’ exchange (1597) and the creation of an exchange bank following the establishment in the town of the Merchant Adventurers (1635) promoted international trade. Rotterdam has the oldest bourse [organization] in the Netherlands. The third Rotterdam stock building was designed by the architect Adriaen van der Werf and constructed at the Westnieuwland in 1736. The bui…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public