Architectural Lantern Slides of Palestine (includes present-day Israel)

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in the Ottoman empire’s region known as Palestine in the late 19th and early 20th century. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Image subjects include amphitheaters, churches, mosques, ruins, shrines, and temples. The collection includes images from present-day Israel and Palestine.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Churches

Convents

Architecture

Ruins

Mosques

Spatial Coverage

West Bank (occupied territory)

Bethlehem

Sabastiyah

Lod HaMerkaz

Haifa

Palestine

Israel

Jerusalem

Tavor Har

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Palestine (includes present-day Israel) remove × Type of Work: Doctoral Dissertation OR Master's Thesis OR Image remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Other than some restoration work, its appearance has essentially not changed since 1854. The same small ladder below the top-right window is also visible in recent photographs; this has remained in the same position since 1854 over a disagreement to move it.

    After the rediscovery of the Holy Places by Constantine in 326 they immediately became the focus of Christian veneration. Both Calvary (Golgotha) and the Tomb of Christ were isolated by cutting away the surrounding rock and earth, making…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Other than some restoration work, its appearance has essentially not changed since 1854. The same small ladder below the top-right window is also visible in recent photographs; this has remained in the same position since 1854 over a disagreement to move it.

    After the rediscovery of the Holy Places by Constantine in 326 they immediately became the focus of Christian veneration. Both Calvary (Golgotha) and the Tomb of Christ were isolated by cutting away the surrounding rock and earth, making…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The cavity beneath the rock, accessible by a staircase near the south entrance, is known as Bir el-Arwah, the “Well of Souls.” It is said that here the voices of the dead mingle with the falling waters of the lower rivers of paradise as they drop into eternity.

    Constructed on the site of the Second Jewish Temple, which was destroyed during the Roman Siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE. In 637 CE, Jerusalem surrendered to the Rashidun Caliphate army during the Muslim conquest of Syria. The …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The vault is plastered and accommodates an extraordinary stone cenotaph…There are two cylindrical stone finials on the top of the southern and the northern ends of the cenotaph, and it is all covered by a green pall in the customary way. [Auld & Hillenbrand, “Ottoman Jerusalem”]

    Kursai [Kursi] Sulaiman (Solomon’s Throne) stands against the east wall of the Haram just to the north of the Golden Gate and is a rectangular structure with two narrow domes. References are made …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Chapel of Saint Helena (mother of Constantine) is a 12th century Armenian church in the lower level of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

    After the rediscovery of the Holy Places by Constantine in 326 they immediately became the focus of Christian veneration. Both Calvary (Golgotha) and the Tomb of Christ were isolated by cutting away the surrounding rock and earth, making them free-standing blocks. Between 326 and 337 the Tomb of Christ was surrounded by the so-called Anastasis (Resurrec…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    After the rediscovery of the Holy Places by Constantine in 326 they immediately became the focus of Christian veneration. Both Calvary (Golgotha) and the Tomb of Christ were isolated by cutting away the surrounding rock and earth, making them free-standing blocks. Between 326 and 337 the Tomb of Christ was surrounded by the so-called Anastasis (Resurrection) Rotunda. Rebuilding occurred in 1048. When the crusaders conquered Jerusalem in 1099 their immediate concern was to restore and beautify…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The freestanding entry arcade tops steps up to the plateau.

    Constructed on the site of the Second Jewish Temple, which was destroyed during the Roman Siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE. In 637 CE, Jerusalem surrendered to the Rashidun Caliphate army during the Muslim conquest of Syria. The structure has been refurbished many times since its initial completion in 691 CE at the order of Umayyad Caliph Abd al-Malik. The site’s significance stems from religious traditions regarding the rock, known …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Constructed on the site of the Second Jewish Temple, which was destroyed during the Roman Siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE. In 637 CE, Jerusalem surrendered to the Rashidun Caliphate army during the Muslim conquest of Syria. The structure has been refurbished many times since its initial completion in 691 CE at the order of Umayyad Caliph Abd al-Malik. The site’s significance stems from religious traditions regarding the rock, known as the Foundation Stone, at its heart. Consisting of a domed …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Constructed on the site of the Second Jewish Temple, which was destroyed during the Roman Siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE. In 637 CE, Jerusalem surrendered to the Rashidun Caliphate army during the Muslim conquest of Syria. The structure has been refurbished many times since its initial completion in 691 CE at the order of Umayyad Caliph Abd al-Malik. The site’s significance stems from religious traditions regarding the rock, known as the Foundation Stone, at its heart. Consisting of a domed …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Carmelite order was founded on Mount Carmel more than 800 years ago, starting from a number of Crusaders who went into seclusion in the caves on Mount Carmel, in imitation of the Prophet Elijah, who meditated in a cave here before defeating the priests of Baal. The 17th century monastery was destroyed by the Ottomans after Napoleon’s siege of Acre and rebuilt 1827-1836. Elijah’s Cave is in a separate domed shrine further down the slope and is sacred to Jews, Christians, Muslims, a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01