Architectural Lantern Slides of Russia (includes present-day Ukraine and Georgia)

Collection Details Full Record
Parent Collection
Architectural Lantern Slides

Description

Lantern slides created in the Russian Empire during the late 19th or early 20th century. Image subjects include cathedrals, churches, museums, and palaces. These lantern slides were intended for use in architectural pedagogy. Regions included in this collection comprise the present-day states of Russia, Ukraine, and Georgia.

Creator

G. Massiot & cie

Subject

Cathedrals

Theaters

Churches

Palaces

Architecture

Spatial Coverage

Ostankino

Odessa

Moscow

Zvenigorod

Kolomenskoye

Saint Petersburg

Russia

Tsarskoe Selo

Bat'umi

Kiev

Yaroslavl

Irkutsk

Tbilisi

Search CurateND

Search criteria:

Collection: Architectural Lantern Slides of Russia (includes present-day Ukraine and Georgia) remove ×
Clear all

List of files deposited in CurateND that match your search criteria

  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    A church, possibly Church of St. John Chrysostom, in Yaroslavl, Russia.

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The Peter and Paul Cathedral is a Russian Orthodox cathedral located inside the Peter and Paul Fortress in St. Petersburg, Russia. It is the first and oldest landmark in St. Petersburg, built between 1712 and 1733 on Hare Island along the Neva River. Both the cathedral and the fortress were originally built under Peter the Great and designed by Domenico Trezzini. The cathedral’s bell tower is the world’s tallest Orthodox bell tower. The Peter and Paul Cathedral marked a radical depart…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The current cathedral, of baroque design, was completed in 1772. One of the most notable views is inside the cathedral, the iconostasis that separates the altar from the nave area of the cathedral, which stands almost the height of the interior space. On it there are icons interspaced with intricate gold-covered wooden decorations including figures of cherubim and columns entwined with vine branches. The cathedral sustained enormous damage during the WWII fighting,

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd. Palace Square (Russian: Dvortsovaya Ploshchad), connecting Nevsky Prospekt with Palace Bridge leading to Vasilievsky Island, is the central city square of St. Petersburg and of the former Russian Empire. It was the setting of many events of worldwide significance, including the Bloody Sunday (1905) and the October Revolution of 1917.

    The official seat of the government of Russia from 1712 to 1917, it is sited on the left bank of the River Neva, east of the Ad…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd. The New Hermitage Museum is by Leo von Klenze (built 1842-1851) in a neoclassic style. Until the 1920s the museum’s entrance was under the portico supported by five-metre high atlantes of grey Serdobol granite from Finland in the middle of the southern facade of the New Hermitage building.

    In the reign of Catherine II a grand palace ensemble was created that served as an official state residence, a storehouse of art treasures, and also as a home where the…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Lantern slide labeled Petrograd.

    The official seat of the government of Russia from 1712 to 1917, it is sited on the left bank of the River Neva, east of the Admiralty, and is now part of the Hermitage Museum. There have been four successive palaces on the site, the first two of wood and destroyed by fire. Bartolomeo Carlo Rastrelli and Bartolomeo Francesco Rastrelli built the new, stone, Third Winter Palace (1732-1736) for Empress Anne (reigned 1730-1740). Anne’s palace was demolished a…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    In 1553-1554, at the command of Ivan IV (reigned 1533-1584), the stone church of the Trinity on the Fosse (Troitsa na Rvu) was built in Red Square to commemorate the capture of Kazan. It had seven wooden chapels. In 1555-1561, however, the new brick cathedral of the Protective Veil on the Fosse (Pokrov na Rvu), attributed to the architects Barma and Postnik, was built with eight stone chapels symmetrically arranged on a common foundation around this central part. Another chapel was built in t…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The tent roof is criss-crossed with white stone rhombus patterns.

    Built in 1532 by Vasily III (reigned 1505-1533) on a sloping hillside above the river, presumably as a thanks-offering for the birth of his son, later Ivan IV. The central, square plan is enclosed by a tall, multi-faceted polygon that supports an octagonal tower crowned with a tent roof, itself surmounted by a lantern and cupola. A covered gallery resting on an arcade and approached by three stairways surrounds the lower part …

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    Alexander I of Russia nominated the Armoury as the first public museum in Moscow in 1806, but the collections were not opened to the public until 7 years later. It houses decorative arts as well as weapons (a treasury more than an armory).

    The Kremlin Armoury (Russian: Оружейная палата) is one of the oldest museums of Moscow, established in 1808 and located in the Moscow Kremlin. The Kremlin Armoury originated as the royal arsenal in 1508. Until the transfer of the court to St Petersburg, th…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The finest Muscovite gunsmiths (the Vyatkin brothers), jewellers (Gavrila Ovdokimov), and painters (Simon Ushakov) used to work here in the 16th century.

    The Kremlin Armoury (Russian: Оружейная палата) is one of the oldest museums of Moscow, established in 1808 and located in the Moscow Kremlin. The Kremlin Armoury originated as the royal arsenal in 1508. Until the transfer of the court to St Petersburg, the Armoury was in charge of producing, purchasing and storing weapons, jewelry and vari…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    See photographs by Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (Library of Congress). http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/

    Vladimir was one of the medieval capitals of Russia, and two of its cathedrals are World Heritage Sites. Vsevolod built St. Dimitry from 1194 to 1197 in the courtyard of his palace in Middle Town. It belongs to a series of churches with four piers and a single dome that was widespread in the 12th century, but the solemn splendour of its architecture and sculptural decor…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public
  • Creator(s):
    G. Massiot & cie
    Description:

    The building’s most conspicuous elevation, that facing south, was given an imposing but severe stone-faced façade divided into four equal arched bays by tall pilasters rising through a traditional band of blind arcades with ornamental colonnettes.

    The Cathedral of the Dormition (Russian: Успенский Собор, Uspensky Sobor) is the mother church of Muscovite Russia. Fioravanti was known as a structural engineer and the cathedral needed to be rebuilt following an earthquake. Commissioned by Iv…

    Date Created:
    1910-01-01
    Record Visibility:
    Public