Santa Maria in Organo, Verona: View showing unfinished facade

Image

Description

Originally part of a Benedictine convent (destroyed in Napoleonic times). For S Maria in Organo, Sanmicheli designed a stone fa├žade (1547) that was completed only up to the level of the main entablature; above it there would probably have been an attic storey with a pediment at the centre. The composition, with a central portal and side windows, is common to other Veronese churches. The most famous works inside the church are the wood inlays (intarsia) of the choir and sacristy, which depict urban scenes, allegories, still life, executed by the monk Fra Giovanni da Verona, who also designed the bell tower, finished in 1533.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Chiesa di Santa Maria in Organo

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Decorative arts

  • Churches

  • Architecture

  • Bell towers

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Renaissance

  • Romanesque

Place of Creation
  • Verona

  • Verona, Veneto, Italy

  • +45.444338+11.004452

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.