Saint Pierre, Caen: View of the elaborate Renaissance apse

Image

Description

St-Pierre was built on the south side of Caen Chateau in the 13th and 14th centuries, and an ornate Renaissance east end was added in the early 16th century. It is a fine example of the transition between Gothic and Renaissance forms. The church is best known for its 75m (245 ft) tower of 1308, whose soaring spire was destroyed in 1944 and subsequently restored. The interior features an elegant Gothic nave and an elaborate Renaissance apse, with rich decoration and unusual vaulting.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Église St-Pierre

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Decorative arts

  • Architecture

  • Churches

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Renaissance

  • Gothic (Medieval)

Place of Creation
  • Caen

  • +49.184032-0.360880

  • Caen, Basse-Normandie, France: Calvados department: adjoins Place St-Pierre

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of France

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.