Parish Church of Saint Catherine, Juliaca: Distant overall view, side elevation

Image

Description

Juliaca is a major transit and trade point in the Puno region. The Iglesia Santa Catalina was built by the Jesuits. It is built of the local white volcanic tufa (sillar); its popular name is the “white church” (Iglesia blanca de Juliaca). Today it is under the Franciscan order. The style is called “indigenous Baroque,” built by local workers.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Iglesia Matriz de Santa Catalina

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Churches

  • Architecture

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Baroque

  • Seventeenth century

  • Spanish Colonial

Place of Creation
  • -15.493333-70.134722

  • Juliaca, Puno, Peru

  • Juliaca

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility and Access Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Peru

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.