Orvieto Cathedral, Chapel of the Corporal: Overall view of chapel with frescoes, altar and aedicule-shaped tabernacle

Image

Description

Bolsena is known for a miracle said to have occurred there in 1263, when a Bohemian priest, in doubt about the doctrine of Transubstantiation, reported bleeding from the host he had consecrated at Mass. The Cappella del Corporale in Orvieto Cathedral lies on the north side of the main crossing. It was built between 1350 and 1356 to house the stained corporal of the miracle of Bolsena. The chapel also contains the tomb of St. Pietro Parenzo. The chapel is decorated with frescoes depicting on the left wall the history of the Eucharist and on the right wall miracles concerning the bleeding host throughout church history. They were painted between 1357 and 1363. The aedicule-shaped tabernacle on the altar was designed in 1358 by Nicola da Siena and finished by Orcagna.

Attributes

Attribute NameValues
Alternate Title
  • Cappella del Corporale

  • Duomo di Orvieto

Creator
  • G. Massiot & cie

Subject
  • Altars

  • Cathedrals

  • Architecture

  • Fresco painting

  • Chapels

Date Created
  • 1910-01-01

Date Digitized
  • 2007-01-01

Cultural Context
  • Gothic (Medieval)

Place of Creation
  • Orvieto Cathedral (Orvieto, Umbria, Italy)

  • Orvieto

  • +42.71701+12.113274

Departments and Units
Member of
Temporal Coverage
  • before or circa 1910

Record Visibility Public
Content License

Collections

Collections Featuring this Image
Architectural Lantern Slides of Italy

Files

Please Note: You may encounter a delay before a download begins. Large or infrequently accessed files can take several minutes to retrieve from our archival storage system.